How can the potential energy and stored energy in a capacitor be different?

• Thread starter exitwound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the first problem involves finding the electric field strength between two parallel metal plates with a potential difference of 350 V. The electric field strength is calculated using E=V/d, resulting in a value of 35kV/m. The second problem involves a 12.0 V battery connected to a 6.0 nF parallel plate capacitor. The amount of charge on each plate is found using Q=VC, resulting in a value of 72x10^-9 Coulombs. The energy stored in the capacitor is calculated using U=1/2QV, resulting in a value of 4.3x10^-7 Joules. This is different from the potential energy lost in the first problem (qv),
exitwound
Problem 1
Two parallel metal plates are connected to a voltage source so that their potential difference is maintained at 350 V. The two plates are separated by 1.00 cm. An electron is released from rest at the negative plate and accelerates toward the positive plate. (a) Determine the electric field strength between the two plates. (b) Determine the amount of kinetic energy gained by the electron.

a.) [tex]V=\int \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{S}[/tex]
[tex]V=Ed[/tex]
[tex]E=\frac{V}{d}[/tex]
[tex]E=\frac{350}{.01}=35kV/m[/tex]

b.)[tex]U_i+K_i=U_f+K_f[/tex]
[tex]qV + 0 = 0 + \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]
[tex]qV = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]
the KE gained by the moving electron is the PE lost, or qV.
[tex]qV= (1.6x10^{-19})(350)=5.6x10^{-17}[/tex]

Problem 2
A 12.0 V battery is connected to a 6.0 nF parallel plate capacitor. (a) What amount of charge will exist on each plate once electrostatic equilibrium is reached? (b) What amount of energy is “stored” in the capacitor in this state?

a.)[tex]C=\frac{Q}{V}[/tex]
[tex]Q=VC[/tex]
[tex]Q=(12)(6x10^{-9})=72x10^{-9} Coulombs[/tex]

b.)[tex]U=\frac{1}{2}QV[/tex]
[tex]U=\frac{1}{2}(72x10^{-17})(12)=4.3x10^{-7} Joules[/tex]

Now, my question is this. How can the potential energy lost in the first problem (qv) not be the same amount of charge stored in the second problem (1/2 qV)? I've had both equations thrown at me where Electric Potential is equal to Electrostatic Potential Energy per charge (qV), and also where it's (1/2 qV).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the first problem, the units of electric field are V/m, so your answer should be 35kV/m.

Not sure I understand your question at the end...

You're right. Edited.

exitwound said:
Now, my question is this. How can the potential energy lost in the first problem (qv) not be the same amount of charge stored in the second problem (1/2 qV)? I've had both equations thrown at me where Electric Potential is equal to Electrostatic Potential Energy per charge (qV), and also where it's (1/2 qV).

So I'm not tracking this yet. Could you show the math where you get the two different results. The fundamental equations should be:

E = V/d
Q = CV
F = qE
Work = Force * Distance...

If the Voltage is defined as the Potential Energy per unit charge, V=U/q. Therefore, U=qV, or the amount of work is equal to the charge times the voltage difference. However, when it's read this way, "The energy stored in a capacitor", it is U=1/2qV.

see: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elewor.html#c1

So I'm confused. How can the potential energy be calculated as qV when talking about Voltage but be 1/2qV when talking about stored energy?

See: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capeng.html#c1

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to hold an electric charge. It is represented by the symbol C and is measured in farads (F).

What is the equation for capacitance?

The equation for capacitance is C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage.

How do you calculate the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor can be calculated using the equation C = ε0(A/d), where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

What is the relationship between capacitance and distance between plates?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the area of the plates and inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between plates decreases, the capacitance increases.

How does the dielectric material between the plates affect capacitance?

The dielectric material between the plates of a capacitor can increase the capacitance by reducing the electric field strength between the plates. This is because the dielectric material has a higher permittivity than air, allowing it to store more charge.