How can we calculate the centre of mass using integrals?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of finding the center of mass or centroid of a region bounded by given graphs and coordinates. The formula for finding the center of mass is the same as finding the centroid of a region, unless a non-constant density function is given. The participants also mention the need to sketch the region in order to find the coordinates of the center of mass.
T7
Hi,

I appreciate that we can calculate the x-coordinate of the centre of mass of a system of bodies like this:

[tex]x = (m_{1}x_{1} + m_{2}x_{2} + m_{3}x_{3} + ... + m_{n}x_{n}) / M[/tex]

where M is the total mass.

This could be rewritten as

[tex] x = \frac {1} {M} \sum_{i=1}^n m_{i}x_{i} [/tex]

My next step would be to say that

[tex] x = \frac {1} {M} \int_{a}^{b} m dx[/tex]

(I am imagining a scanner sweeping horizontally through an object X and recording its mass at very small intervals).

However, looking in the textbook, it is expressed as

[tex] x = \frac {1} {M} \int x dm[/tex]

I'm a bit of a beginner as far as calculus goes, but it seems to me that[tex] \int x dm[/tex] is not the same as [tex]\int m dx[/tex].

Looking at the problem geometrically, if you plot m against x, then [tex]\int_{a}^{b} m dx[/tex] will give you an area between the graph of m and the x-axis, whereas [tex]\int_{a}^{b} x dm[/tex] will give you an area between the graph of m and the y-axis.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you imagine a "scanner," as you put it, recording the center of mass (a position!) of each slice, and you add those up, then you get an integral of positions with respect to the mass of the arbitrarily small slice, not the other way around.If you're imagining a bunch of thin slices, and recording the mass at each point, then the mass of each slice is [itex]dm[/itex], not m (or [itex]dx[/itex]). A solid object can be treated as a continuous distribution of particles, but each is so small that it has the differential mass dm. So, the sums ([itex]m_ax_a+m_b+x_b+...+m_nx_n[/itex]) become [itex]x_adm_a+x_bdm_b+...+x_ndm_n[/itex], or the integral [tex]\int xdm[/tex]

Cheers scholzie.

T7 said:
Hi,

I appreciate that we can calculate the x-coordinate of the centre of mass of a system of bodies like this:

[tex]x = (m_{1}x_{1} + m_{2}x_{2} + m_{3}x_{3} + ... + m_{n}x_{n}) / M[/tex]

where M is the total mass.

This could be rewritten as

[tex] x = \frac {1} {M} \sum_{i=1}^n m_{i}x_{i} [/tex]

My next step would be to say that

[tex] x = \frac {1} {M} \int_{a}^{b} m dx[/tex]

(I am imagining a scanner sweeping horizontally through an object X and recording its mass at very small intervals).
But xi is a coordinate- it is not a "small piece" of something. mi is the mass of a small section of solid centered at xi. Perhaps it would be better to write it [itex]\Delta m_i[/itex]. That would make it clearer that you are adding small pieces of mass, each multiplied by the coordinate of its center and so
However, looking in the textbook, it is expressed as

[tex] x = \frac {1} {M} \int x dm[/tex]
is the correct formula.

centre of mass

Sketch the region which is bounded by the graps y =x^2+1 of , x = 0, x = 1 and y-0 . Find the coordinates of its centre of mass.

pls help on how to find the centre of mass

Ideas, please?

Teng, did you sketch the region ?

marlon

what is the formula of finding the centre of mass??is it same as finding centroid of a region??

yaya.now sketching

teng125 said:
what is the formula of finding the centre of mass??is it same as finding centroid of a region??
That is correct, unless you have been given a non-constant density function.

okok...thanx

Related to How can we calculate the centre of mass using integrals?

1. What is the definition of the centre of mass?

The centre of mass is a point in a system or object where the entire mass of the system or object is considered to be concentrated. It is the point at which the average position of all the mass is located.

2. How is the centre of mass calculated?

The centre of mass is calculated by taking the weighted average of the positions of all the particles in a system or object. This is done by multiplying the position of each particle by its mass and then dividing by the total mass of the system or object.

3. What is the significance of the centre of mass?

The centre of mass is significant because it helps us understand the overall motion and stability of a system or object. It also helps us analyze and predict the behavior of a system or object under different forces and torques.

4. Can the centre of mass be outside the physical boundaries of an object?

Yes, the centre of mass can be outside the physical boundaries of an object. This is because the centre of mass is a theoretical point that represents the distribution of mass in an object, and it is not limited by the physical size or shape of the object.

5. How is the centre of mass related to stability?

The centre of mass is directly related to the stability of an object. If the centre of mass is located within the base of support of an object, then the object will be stable. However, if the centre of mass is outside the base of support, the object will be unstable and may topple over.