How can we calculate the required torque to rotate 1200 kg?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating torque to rotate a 1200 kg mass attached to a 1.5" diameter shaft, supported by 2 bearings and neglecting bearing friction. The formula for torque is T= mass x g x Radius x coefficient of frication. To keep the object turning, torque is needed for acceleration, friction, and maintaining rotation. The formula for torque to keep turning is T= MMI x AngularAcceleration + T=μkinetic*m*g*R.
Rajastc
I want to calculate torque to rotate 1200 kg of mass which is attached in 1.5" dia shaft. Shaft is supported by 2 bearings at its end. Neglect bearing frication. Please help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Without friction every non-zero torque will let it start rotating - the acceleration depends on the torque of course.

Once you've got it spinning not very much, I think that you need to ask a different question, explain what you're trying to do first.

Thanks mfb & Jobrag, Actually i need to design maintenance cart, where i need to support 1200 kg of assembly. Need to rotate 180 degree for first set of maintenance and then rotate again another 180 degree to complete the remaining work.

Planning to use spur gear mechanism and hand wheel to rotate. so i want to calculate torque to rotate 1200 kg.

This will be determined by the friction your system has. And by time constraints, assuming you don't want to wait an hour to rotate it.

This would be easier with a pint and a sheet of paper. How symmetrical is the piece of equipment, how are you supporting the the bits on the shaft, can you post a photograph of the equipment.

Please find the attached concept.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 2,732
If the bit of equipment is as symmetrical as your sketch shows the torque required to rotate it will be negligible.

if the mechanism is symmetrical, respective load, torque will be negligible. And consider no bearing friction. Right?

But the formula for torque is
T= mass x g x Radius x coefficient of frication.

I just got confused . please help me.

In the set up you show the relevant r will be close to zero. Thought experiment with the set up you have will the piece of equipment tend to stay where it is or will the heavy side swing down?

What is missing in this discussion is the mass moment of inertia of the object to be rotated. Sure, mass = 1200kg. But you also must rotationally accelerate & decelerate that mass, and that requires torque. That is calculated with a rotational mass moment of inertia formula. Either you get the MMI from a CAD model with mass properties or calculate it yourself. Many sources for MMI of primitive shapes (like cylinders, cubes, etc.) that will provide estimates.

For inertia, Torque = MMI x AngularAcceleration.

AngularAcceleration is approximately (ChangeInAngularVelocity) / (ChangeInTime). So you must specify your motion parameters much better in order to gain accuracy.

Finally, turning the object from rest requires PeakTorque = (TorqueToAccelerate) + (TorqueForFriction) + (TorqueToKeepTurning) + (TorqueForAnythingElse) + etc.

Rajastc said:
if the mechanism is symmetrical, respective load, torque will be negligible. And consider no bearing friction. Right?

But the formula for torque is
T= mass x g x Radius x coefficient of frication.
That's what I said earlier: if friction is negligile, even very small torque values will be sufficient.

Thanks tygerdawg , mfb & Jobrag..I got fair idea to proceed further.

tygerdawg said:
Finally, turning the object from rest requires PeakTorque = (TorqueToAccelerate) + (TorqueForFriction) + (TorqueToKeepTurning) + (TorqueForAnythingElse) + etc.
The formula for torque:
1. Torque to accelerate= MMI x Acceleration.
2. Torque for frication= T=μ*m*g*R
where :
T : the required torque
μ : the friction coefficient
m : the weight of the cylinder
g : Earth gravity
R : radius at contact bearings/cylinder
Can you confirm the above torque for frication formula?

3. Torque to keep turning :
In my case , no need continuous rotation. but for understanding, can you give some more information?

Looks good.
Torque to keep it moving is just friction, but with the coefficient of kinetic friction instead of static friction.

Rajastc said:
Thanks tygerdawg , mfb & Jobrag..I got fair idea to proceed further.The formula for torque:
1. Torque to accelerate= MMI x Acceleration.
2. Torque for frication= T=μ*m*g*R
where :
T : the required torque
μ : the friction coefficient
m : the weight of the cylinder
g : Earth gravity
R : radius at contact bearings/cylinder
Can you confirm the above torque for frication formula?

3. Torque to keep turning :
In my case , no need continuous rotation. but for understanding, can you give some more information?
To initiate rotation we will need to consider co-efficient of static friction and "torque required to keep it turning" will require to consider co-efficient of kinetic friction. so
Torque required to keep turning = Torque to accelerate= MMI x Acceleration + Torque for frication= T=μkinetic*m*g*R

Hi All, Thank for the great help. I got good understanding to proceed further.

Related to How can we calculate the required torque to rotate 1200 kg?

1. What is torque and how is it related to rotation?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. It is directly proportional to the magnitude of the force applied and the distance between the force and the axis of rotation.

2. How do we calculate the required torque to rotate an object?

The required torque to rotate an object can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This is known as the moment arm or lever arm.

3. What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of force application.

4. How do we determine the required torque to rotate a 1200 kg object?

To determine the required torque to rotate a 1200 kg object, we need to know the force being applied and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of force application. Once we have these values, we can use the formula T = F x d to calculate the required torque.

5. Are there any other factors that affect the required torque for rotation?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the required torque for rotation, such as the shape and size of the object, the distribution of mass within the object, and any external forces acting on the object. These factors may need to be taken into account when calculating the required torque for a specific object.