How can we efficiently dry metallic nanoparticles

• Thread starter nadaben
  • Start date
In summary, the goal is to dry and redissolve metallic nanoparticles in organic solvents so they can be studied more easily.
nadaben
hello everyone

i wonder if someone can help me to dry completely metallic nanoparticles synthesized in water
while maintaining their shape (without aggregation).or if there is a way to synthesize them directly in organic phase

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Heat in a vacuum?

normally metallic nanoparticles are sensitive to higher temperatures.. i tried to dry them in rotary evaporator but they remains sticked in the vial

It's about vapor pressure. If they are metallic they can survive some temperature elevation and it may not take much. Sticking to the vial may be a function of what is in solution with them and or something as simple a Van der Waals forces.

Another approach might be the use of a desiccant.

DIY miniature fluidised bed . Air blown . Optionally other gasses or solvent vapour .

Basically blow air the wrong way through filter membrane .

The nanoparticles are prepared in water ! I have no other products in the solution.. the goal is to dry and redissolve them in organic solvents so I must avoid agglomerating them while drying

I don't claim to be even mildly familiar with nano-particles (outside of some experience with polystyrene micro spheres suspended in water). Would it be possible to add the aqueous suspension into your organic solvent then remove the excess water?

First question: what metal?
Second question: do you not want to cap the NPs with a surfactant?
nadaben said:
hello everyone

i wonder if someone can help me to dry completely metallic nanoparticles synthesized in water
while maintaining their shape (without aggregation).or if there is a way to synthesize them directly in organic phase

Even if we add the organic solvent nanoparticles have an affinity to water so they remain in the aqueous phase
Metal are gold or silver...what is the role of the surfactant? Is it to transfer them to the organic phase? In this case I've tried this method but it doesn't work for my solvent( chlorobenzene) and for bigger sizes of nanoparticles

So you don't use something like a long-chain alkylthiol to moderate AuNP growth?

No actually i didn't try! Do you have references in this way?

https://gmwgroup.harvard.edu/pubs/pdf/508.pdf
This is one of the early papers from the Whitesides group. They specialized in gold-thiol SAMs for a while back in the 90s-2000s.

Thank u so much ! It's a very important work .. i should look for its details ! If u have any other ideas or references please share

1. How are metallic nanoparticles typically dried?

Metallic nanoparticles are typically dried through either thermal or vacuum evaporation methods. Thermal evaporation involves heating the nanoparticles to high temperatures, causing the solvent to evaporate and leaving behind dry nanoparticles. Vacuum evaporation uses a vacuum chamber to remove the solvent through sublimation, without the need for high temperatures.

2. What is the most efficient method for drying metallic nanoparticles?

The most efficient method for drying metallic nanoparticles depends on the specific properties of the nanoparticles and the desired end result. Thermal evaporation is generally faster, but can result in aggregation or changes in the nanoparticle structure. Vacuum evaporation is slower but can help preserve the integrity of the nanoparticles.

3. How important is the drying process for metallic nanoparticles?

The drying process is crucial for ensuring the stability and usability of metallic nanoparticles. If not dried properly, the nanoparticles can aggregate, change in size or shape, or become contaminated. Proper drying is essential for obtaining accurate and reliable data in any further experiments or applications.

4. How can we prevent agglomeration during the drying process?

Agglomeration of metallic nanoparticles during the drying process can be prevented by using a surfactant or stabilizing agent. These substances can help keep the nanoparticles dispersed and prevent them from clumping together. Additionally, using a low drying temperature or a vacuum drying method can also help reduce agglomeration.

5. Are there any alternative methods for drying metallic nanoparticles?

Yes, there are alternative methods for drying metallic nanoparticles, such as freeze-drying or spray-drying. Freeze-drying involves freezing the nanoparticles and then sublimating the solvent, while spray-drying uses a spray nozzle to create fine droplets of the nanoparticle solution which then dry quickly in the air. However, these methods may not be as efficient as thermal or vacuum evaporation and may require specialized equipment.