How can we reconcile Zee's claims about QFT integration on page 26?

• Thread starter jdstokes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft
In summary, Zee's book is confusing on page 26 because he is trying to explain how we get from Eq (4) to Eq (5). He claims that ``Integrating over y^0 we get a delta function setting k^0 to zero''. However, I don't see how we may assume k^0 \to 0, and even if it does, this surely gives W(J) \to \iint dx^0dy^0 \int \frac{dk^0}{2\pi}\int \frac{d^3 k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i \vec{k}(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x
jdstokes

Homework Statement

In Zee's book on QFT, I'm confused on page 26 by how we gets from Eq (4)

[itex]W(J) = - \int\int dx^0 dy^0 \int \frac{dk^0}{2\pi}e^{ik^0(x-y)^0}\int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i\vec{k} \cdot(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{k^2 - m^2 + i\varepsilon}[/itex]

to Eq (5).

[itex]W(J) = \left( \int d x^0 \right)\int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i\vec{k} \cdot(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{\vec{k}^2 + m^2 +}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]W(J) = - \int\int dx^0 dy^0 \int \frac{dk^0}{2\pi}e^{ik^0(x-y)^0}\int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i\vec{k} \cdot(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{(k^0)^2 - \vec{k}^2 - m^2 + i\varepsilon}[/itex]

Zee claims that ``Integrating over y^0 we get a delta function setting k^0 to zero''.

Firstly, I don't see why we may assume [itex]k^0 \to 0[/itex], and even if it does, this surely gives [itex]W(J) \to \iint dx^0dy^0 \int \frac{dk^0}{2\pi}\int \frac{d^3 k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i \vec{k}(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{\vec{k}^2 + m^2}[/itex]

Is he trying to suggest that the term [itex](k^0)^2[/itex] in the denominator of the k-integrand is somehow negligible compared to [itex]e^{-ik^0(x^0-y^0)}[/itex]? In this case

[itex]\int \frac{dk^0}{2\pi} e^{ik^0(x-y)^0} = \delta(y^0 - x^0)[/itex]. Doing the y^0 integration then simply gives the area under the delta function, which is [itex]\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex] if I recall correctly... No good.

On the same page, I also don't see what enables us to write [itex]\langle 0 | e^{-i Ht}| 0 \rangle[/itex] in the form [itex]e^{-iEt}[/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I almost agree with your derivation, except for a stray minus sign in the denominator of the last integral, and the fact that the factor [tex]i\varepsilon[/tex] vanishes.

As for the bra-ket - some derivations allow you to replace an operator with its generalised eigenvalue; that of the hamiltonian H obviously being E. I'm not quite sure what permits this.

From

[itex]W(J) = - \int\int dx^0 dy^0 \int \frac{dk^0}{2\pi}e^{ik^0(x-y)^0}\int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i\vec{k} \cdot(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{(k^0)^2 - \vec{k}^2 - m^2 + i\varepsilon}[/itex]

first you do the [tex]y^0[/tex] integration as

[itex]\begin{multline*}W(J) = - \int dx^0 dk^0 e^{ik^0x^0}\int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i\vec{k} \cdot(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{(k^0)^2 - \vec{k}^2 - m^2 + i\varepsilon}\int \frac{dy^0}{2\pi}e^{-ik^0y^0} = - \int dx^0 dk^0 e^{ik^0x^0}\int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i\vec{k} \cdot(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{(k^0)^2 - \vec{k}^2 - m^2 + i\varepsilon}\delta(k^0-0)\\=- \int dx^0 \int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i\vec{k} \cdot(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{- \vec{k}^2 - m^2 + i\varepsilon}= \int dx^0 \int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{e^{i\vec{k} \cdot(\vec{x}_1 - \vec{x}_2)}}{\vec{k}^2 + m^2 - i\varepsilon}\end{multline*}[/itex]

from

[tex] \int\frac{d\,k^0}{2\,\pi}\,\delta(k^0-0)\,f(k^0)=f(0)[/tex]

Perfect, Rainbow Child. Thanks.

Related to How can we reconcile Zee's claims about QFT integration on page 26?

1. What is QFT?

Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It is used to study the interactions of particles and the creation and annihilation of particles in space and time.

2. How is QFT different from classical field theory?

Classical field theory describes the behavior of particles and fields using classical mechanics and does not take into account the principles of quantum mechanics. QFT, on the other hand, takes into account the probabilistic nature of particles and their interactions, and also includes special relativity.

3. What are the main principles of QFT?

The main principles of QFT are the principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition, uncertainty, and quantization, as well as the principles of special relativity, including the invariance of physical laws under Lorentz transformations and the speed of light as a universal constant.

4. What are some applications of QFT?

QFT has many applications in modern physics, including the study of particle physics, high-energy physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. QFT is also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.

5. What are some challenges in studying and applying QFT?

One of the main challenges in studying and applying QFT is the complexity of the mathematical formalism involved. QFT also has some unresolved issues, such as the reconciliation of general relativity and quantum mechanics, and the nature of dark matter and dark energy. Additionally, experimental verification of QFT predictions can be difficult due to the extreme energy scales involved.