Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How change from one to another coordinate system

1. Nov 22, 2012 #1
    Hello!

I have a problem. How can I convert a left part from picture which is in coordinate system
    (r, s) to coordinate system (x, y) and then to coordinate system (ζ, η) (right part). I need Jacobian matrix because of integration some function above this region.

Any helpful links or answers are welcome.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3074/20121122230303.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2012 #2
    Given a parametrization for your new coordinates (e.g. x=r cos(t), y=r sin(t), the new coordinates are:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}x'\\y'\end{array}\right)=det(Jacobian(x,y)) \left(\begin{array}{cc}x\\y\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Where the Jacobian is merely:

[tex]J=\left(\begin{array}{cc}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}&\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\\\frac{\partial y}{\partial r}&\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}\end{array}\right)[/tex]

4. Dec 1, 2012 #3
    Thanks for answer.

Is parameter t in equation x = r cos(t) angle phi in the picture?

5. Dec 3, 2012 #4
    Yes, but this was the general formula. In your case, you are going from r,phi to x,y so you should take the inverse equations, i.e.

[tex]r=\sqrt(x^2+y^2) , t=atan(y/x)[/tex]

You would then have r,t on the left hand side of the equation and the new Jacobian times x,y on the other one.

6. Dec 3, 2012 #5
    Ok. Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook