How come we say space and time when it should be space=time. You can

In summary, two objects can always be measured apart by time as long as there is a universal speed (light). The universe expanding could be time. There is no distance at all. Like the big bang all matter is one thing only separated by time.
binbots
How come we say space and time when it should be space=time. You can eliminate measuring distances and measure them in time. Two objects can always be measured apart by time as long as there is a universal speed (light). I am 0.000008sec (at light speed) from my mailbox for example. The universe expanding could be time. There is no distance at all. Like the big bang all matter is one thing only separated by time. The closer to people come together the closer in time they are. Have I gone to far with relative time?

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, space=time in terms of units of measurement. Properly, we say spacetime to indicate that it is a 4 dimensional entity, needing 4 coordinates to specify the location of one point of it. For convenience, we often work with one coordinate system, in which case we arbitrarily choose one way of dividing spacetime into space and time, in which case we say space and time.

binbots said:
How come we say space and time when it should be space=time.
This is not quite correct. Even in units where c=1 space does not equal time as you can easily see from the Minkowski metric:
[tex]ds^2=dt^2-dx^2-dy^2-dz^2[/tex]

They are certainly related, but not the same.

DaleSpam said:
This is not quite correct. Even in units where c=1 space does not equal time as you can easily see from the Minkowski metric:
[tex]ds^2=dt^2-dx^2-dy^2-dz^2[/tex]
Well actually ds is time in this equation, dt is coordinate time, which only equals proper time in the special case where dx, dy and dz are all 0.

Passionflower said:
Well actually ds is time in this equation
Only for timelike intervals, not spacelike or null intervals. In which case time and space still differ in the sign of the interval squared.

So it is crazy to say that there is no such thing as space or distance. Only time separates all mass.

binbots said:
So it is crazy to say that there is no such thing as space or distance. Only time separates all mass.

No, there can be space-like separations too... unless you mean within a specific coordinate system where time acts for distance.

binbots said:

I will not attempt to answer this question, rather ask a related one: Is this the right thread to discuss the possibility of an Lorentzian relativity where it is not space and time that vary but the dimensions of moving masses that contract, and the rate of the clock mechanism that slows down - in a classical world? Other theories propose that space and time do not exist as separate dimensions and that c varies according to the density of the gravitational potential.

valavel said:
I will not attempt to answer this question, rather ask a related one: Is this the right thread to discuss the possibility of an Lorentzian relativity where it is not space and time that vary but the dimensions of moving masses that contract, and the rate of the clock mechanism that slows down - in a classical world? Other theories propose that space and time do not exist as separate dimensions and that c varies according to the density of the gravitational potential.

There are such theories, are you promoting them?

What I am trying to say that distance is a man made thing. There is no universal measurment for distance. Time on the other hand has light, the universal constant.

binbots said:
What I am trying to say that distance is a man made thing. There is no universal measurment for distance. Time on the other hand has light, the universal constant.

You will probably find it ironic then that the standard metre is defined in multiples of the wavelength of certain light emissions. See here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre#Standard_wavelength_of_krypton-86_emission

binbots said:
Why does time have light while distance does not have light?

nismaratwork said:
There are such theories, are you promoting them?

The premises I mentioned seem very reasonable and I would like to know if others have worked out their full implications - i.e. can they rigorously lead to Einstein's results? In chapter VI of his book Space, Time & Gravitation, Eddington likens a gravitational field to a dense medium with a refractive index n where light slows down. He explains it is the 'coordinate' velocity of light he is talking about... but is this the right forum to discuss these things? Thanks.

1. How does the concept of space-time work?

Space-time is a mathematical model that combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time. According to this model, space and time are not independent of each other, but rather interconnected. This means that an event in one location can affect an event in another location through the passage of time.

2. Why do we say "space and time" instead of "space=time"?

The term "space-time" was coined by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity. This term is used to describe the four-dimensional continuum in which events occur. While it may seem more logical to say "space=time," the term "space-time" has become widely accepted and is used to describe the interconnected nature of space and time.

3. What evidence supports the concept of space-time?

One major piece of evidence comes from the theory of relativity, which has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments and observations. The theory of relativity shows that space and time are not absolute, but rather dependent on the observer's frame of reference. This supports the idea that space and time are interconnected and cannot be separated.

4. How does space-time affect our daily lives?

While we may not directly experience the effects of space-time in our daily lives, it plays a crucial role in many technologies that we use. For example, GPS technology relies on the concept of space-time in order to accurately pinpoint locations on Earth. Without understanding the interconnected nature of space and time, many of our modern technologies would not be possible.

5. Is there a limit to how far back or forward in space-time we can travel?

According to the theory of general relativity, there is no limit to how far back or forward in space-time we can travel. However, the amount of energy required to travel through space-time increases exponentially as we approach the speed of light. This makes it practically impossible for humans to travel significant distances in space-time, but it is theoretically possible in certain scenarios.