How do I calculate the capacitance of two unequal lines?

In summary, this article discusses the formula for capacitance of two wires in parallel, and how it can be approximated if the distance between the wires is much larger than the wire diameters.
Tae Hwan Kim
The capacitance formula for equal line is as follows. :
upload_2017-12-13_13-30-26.png
* my question :
I want to know the capacitance formula for unequal lines and its solving process .
upload_2017-12-13_13-32-26.png

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-13_13-30-26.png
    upload_2017-12-13_13-30-26.png
    902 bytes · Views: 929
  • upload_2017-12-13_13-32-26.png
    upload_2017-12-13_13-32-26.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,014
Engineering news on Phys.org
There probably isn't a formula for this. Even the formula for equal lines is an approximation.

You can use a field solver, such as FastCap, to determine the capacitance per length of your structure.

If the distance between the wires is much larger than the wire diameters, I would expect the inverse average of the inverse values to give a reasonable approximation. You can imagine a conducting plate in the middle. Calculate the capacitance for both sides with the formula in post 1 (multiplied by 2 because we have only one side) and then treat your system as two capacitors in series.

Likes the_emi_guy
For any RF guru around, there is a formula for the impedance of two parallel, unequal conductors; perhaps this will give a clue for unit capacitance.
The below from: http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/transmission-lines.htm (I have a text with the same formula, this was easier to copy!)

Two Conductors in Parallel (Balanced)
of Unequal Diameters

Z0= (60/ε½) cosh-1 (N)
Z0 = (60/ε½) cosh-1 (N)
/EDIT:

N = ½[(4D2/d1d2) - (d1/d2) - (d2/d1)]

balanced-conductors-unequal-diameters.gif

Attachments

• balanced-conductors-unequal-diameters.gif
    balanced-conductors-unequal-diameters.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
Likes mfb
mfb said:
If the distance between the wires is much larger than the wire diameters, I would expect the inverse average of the inverse values to give a reasonable approximation. You can imagine a conducting plate in the middle. Calculate the capacitance for both sides with the formula in post 1 (multiplied by 2 because we have only one side) and then treat your system as two capacitors in series.
I don't think the equipotential plane will be quite in the middle.

There is an infinite set of these planes, with the given approximation the middle should be close to an (!) equipotential plane.

If you plot the equipotential lines about two parallel filaments you will see that they are circular and all pass between the filaments, but they are not centred on the filaments. There is only one plane equipotential surface, midway between the filaments.

Given the radii and centre separation of two unequal cylindrical conductors, you can map the two conductor surfaces to be coincident with a circular equipotential surface about each filament.

When the conductors have different radii, the equipotential plane of symmetry between the filaments will no longer be centred between the conductor centres.

See:

The Capacitance of Two-Wire Transmission Lines by prof.Eric Chihming Tsai

http://moodle.ncku.edu.tw/mod/resource/view.php?id=620674

Likes mfb and Baluncore
Babadag, well found. It is an elegant solution.
I forgive myself for not remembering the detail of that solution after 30 years.

Likes Babadag
Thank you ,Baluncore. Something it was happened 30 years ago it reminds me very well as if it was yesterday. However, something it happened yesterday I hardly remember. Namely names. But, what’s in a name? as Shakespeare said.

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in units of Farads (F).

How do I calculate the capacitance of two unequal lines?

To calculate the capacitance of two unequal lines, you can use the formula C = ε0εr(A/d), where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the material between the lines, A is the area between the lines, and d is the distance between the lines.

What factors affect the capacitance of two unequal lines?

The capacitance of two unequal lines is affected by the relative permittivity of the material between the lines, the distance between the lines, and the area between the lines. The dielectric constant of the material between the lines also plays a role in determining the capacitance.

How does the distance between the two lines affect capacitance?

The distance between two unequal lines has an inverse relationship with capacitance. As the distance between the lines increases, the capacitance decreases, and vice versa. This is because a larger distance means a lower electric field, resulting in a lower capacitance.

Why is it important to calculate the capacitance of two unequal lines?

Calculating the capacitance of two unequal lines is important in understanding the behavior of electric circuits and designing electronic devices. It also helps in determining the appropriate spacing and materials to use for optimal performance and efficiency.