How do I calculate the equilibrium temperature of a system?

In summary, you need to include the specific heat capacity constant when you calculate the energy lost and energy gained by the ice and cream.
chukie
I've found the question that I am doing at this site:
http://www.kent.k12.wa.us/pcpow/questions/phys/0105Bird/index.html

The answer is given here, but not the steps:
http://www.kent.k12.wa.us/pcpow/solutions/physics/0105bird/index.html

I know how to do Part A, but no matter how I tried to do part B (What was the thermal equilibrium temperature of that coffee), I do not get the answer given 56.97 degrees C.

I've followed the instructions in the solution and setted the energy lost by the coffee to be equal to the energy gained by the ice and the cream:

I've attached my work:
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/231/worklb2.th.png

Can someone tell me what I did wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you've done so far is fine. You need to expand the brackets and get all the final temps on one side and all the rest on the other. You've missed the specific heat capacity from some of the terms though.

Kurdt said:
What you've done so far is fine. You need to expand the brackets and get all the final temps on one side and all the rest on the other. You've missed the specific heat capacity from some of the terms though.

I did that but I got a value of -14194.9 =(

I'd check your working because using that method I get the answer. If possible write down all steps of your calculation so they can be checked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said before you haven't included the specific heat capacity constant.

Kurdt said:
Like I said before you haven't included the specific heat capacity constant.

ahh i see! i assumed that the c's would cancel since they were all the same but i missed the fact that mL doesn't hv a c. thanks for your help!

1. What is equilibrium temperature?

Equilibrium temperature is the temperature at which the energy absorbed by an object is equal to the energy it radiates back into its surroundings. This results in a balance between incoming and outgoing energy, causing the temperature of the object to remain constant.

2. How is equilibrium temperature calculated?

Equilibrium temperature is calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the rate of energy emitted by an object is proportional to the fourth power of its temperature. This equation takes into account the object's emissivity and surface area as well.

3. What factors affect equilibrium temperature?

The main factors that affect equilibrium temperature are the object's distance from the heat source, its surface area, and its ability to absorb and emit radiation (known as emissivity). Other factors such as atmospheric conditions and external heat sources can also have an impact.

4. Why is equilibrium temperature important?

Equilibrium temperature is important in understanding the thermal balance of objects and systems. It is particularly relevant in fields such as climate science, astronomy, and engineering, where knowing the equilibrium temperature of an object can help predict its behavior and make informed decisions.

5. How does equilibrium temperature relate to the Earth's climate?

The Earth's equilibrium temperature is determined by the balance between incoming solar radiation and outgoing thermal radiation. Changes in the Earth's atmosphere, such as an increase in greenhouse gases, can disrupt this balance and lead to an increase in the planet's equilibrium temperature, resulting in global warming.