How do I calculate the impulse

• Thread starter mikefitz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, to calculate the impulse of an object with mass X that changes direction from Y to Z velocity, use the equation Impulse = mv - mu, where m is the mass, v is the final velocity and u is the initial velocity. This equation does not require time intervals and is applicable for linear momentum.
mikefitz
If I'm given an object with X mass that is moving in one direction at Y velocity, then changes direction and moves at Z velocity, how do I calculate the impulse? Most equations I have are concerned with time intervals; this one is not.

Physics news on Phys.org
mikefitz said:
If I'm given an object with X mass that is moving in one direction at Y velocity, then changes direction and moves at Z velocity, how do I calculate the impulse? Most equations I have are concerned with time intervals; this one is not.

The impulse equals the change of linear momentum.

Impulse
= Change of momentum
= Final momentum - initial momentum
= mv - mu
= m(v-u)
= X (-Z-Y)

Assuming what you are talking about is linear momentum. I would be a lot more complicated and you would have to calculate is as an oblique collision if it were not.

say the object moves at 3.6 m/s initially, then gets hit and moves -24.2 m/s in the other direction; m=.41kg

3.6(.41)=1.476
-24.2(.41)=-9.922

=-8.446 <--is this right?

No, impulse equals change in momentum, which is final minus initial.

It is best you don't try to calculate the values of the momentum separately. Just calculate it using the formula I gave. The result you would get will be the sum of the magnitudes, not what you got.

The only mistake mikefitz made was not subtracting correctly.

What is the definition of impulse?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object. It is the product of the force applied to an object and the time interval during which the force is applied.

How do I calculate impulse?

The equation for impulse is impulse = force x time. This means that you multiply the force applied to an object by the amount of time the force was applied for.

What units are used to measure impulse?

The SI unit for impulse is Newton seconds (N*s). However, it can also be measured in kilogram meters per second (kg*m/s).

What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, while impulse is a measure of the change in an object's momentum. Momentum is a vector quantity, while impulse is a scalar quantity.

Can impulse be negative?

Yes, impulse can be negative. This means that the change in momentum of an object is in the opposite direction of its initial momentum. Negative impulse can occur when a force is applied to an object in the opposite direction of its motion.