Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bingham plastic that is not a suspension

Tags:
  1. Jan 2, 2017 #1
    I am looking for a Bingham plastic that is not a suspension. It can either be in the form of an additive to water or a non conductive chemical. The liquid should have a yield stress of 150 Pa to 250 Pa. What liquid could be used here? Are there companies who tailor make these kind of liquids?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2017 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jan 3, 2017 #3
    They are not using a Bingham plastic and they are using a suspension.

5. Jan 3, 2017 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

6. Jan 3, 2017 #5
    The properties of the liquid should be such that the liquid can be standing still in a system of tubes without separating into fractions even after weeks of zero motion. The liquid should also have a lifetime of at least one year and it should have as low a viscosity as possible. One possibility could be long chained silicon oil with polar side chains.

7. Jan 3, 2017 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Low?" Or high?

8. Jan 3, 2017 #7
    As low as possible and with the correct yield stress.

9. Jan 3, 2017 #8

rbelli1

Gold Member

So what would be an upper bound on the viscosity you need? My low viscosity might be essentially solid compared to what you need.

I don't have any materials in mind I am just trying to get all of the information on display so someone wandering by may be able to give a suggestion.

BoB

10. Jan 4, 2017 #9
    Viscosity should maximum be a few hundred centistoke.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted