How do I calculate van der Waals constants with 2 unknowns (a and b)?

In summary: So, in summary, to calculate the units for the van der Waals constants, we can use the equation (P + a (n/V)^2) (V - n b) = n R T and set [V] = [n][b] to determine the units for b, and then calculate the units for a by rearranging the equation to isolate for a and using the known units for the other variables. Eventually, we will need to input numerical values with appropriate units to calculate the actual values of a and b.
Saado
How would I go about calculating the units for the van der waals constants if I have 2 unknowns? (a and b)
(P + a (n/V)^2) (V - n b) = n R T

p=Pressure
v=Volume
n=moles
R=gas constant
T=temperature

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Saado said:
How would I go about calculating the units for the van der waals constants if I have 2 unknowns? (a and b)
(P + a (n/V)^2) (V - n b) = n R T

p=Pressure
v=Volume
n=moles
R=gas constant
T=temperature
Units have to be consistent: if you add/substract quantities with units, they must have the same units.

Yeah I know that. How would I go about getting the units of a and b from the units above? It seems to me that when I try to re-arrange, I'll always have 2 unknowns (a and b) so I can't work out the individual units for those constants

Saado said:
Yeah I know that. How would I go about getting the units of a and b from the units above? It seems to me that when I try to re-arrange, I'll always have 2 unknowns (a and b) so I can't work out the individual units for those constants
I don't see how you get that. Take ##b## for instance. It has units such that ##nb## and ##V## have the same units. The common notation for this is
$$
[n] [ b ] = [V]
$$
Can you use that to figurs the units of ##b##?

Would that not simply be the units for volume? meter cubed per mol?

Could you take me through the steps of why that is the case using algebra? It isn't intuitive to me at the moment.

Last edited:
Saado said:
Would that not simply be the units for volume? meter cubed per mol?

Could you take me through the steps of why that is the case using algebra? It isn't intuitive to me at the moment.
In SI units, volume is expressed in cubic meters. So you have
\begin{align}
[V] &=\textrm{m}^3 \\
[n] &= \textrm{mol}
\end{align}
Therefore
$$
[ b ] = \frac{[V]}{[n]} = \textrm{m}^3 \textrm{mol}^{-1}
$$
That way, you have that ##n b## will have units of volume (m3 in this case), so that you can indeed calculate ##V - n b## and recover something with the units of a volume.

You now need to figure out the units of ##a## to recover a pressure (Pa = N m-2 = kg m-1 s-2 in SI units).

Right, I understood that much. Maybe I should have expressed my query better.
As a test of algebra, I was given the above equation: (P + a (n/V)^2) (V - n b) = n R T

With absolutely no context and told that a and b are constants.
I recognized the other terms from eqns like PV=nRT and pv=1/3 nmv^2
How would I get from (P + a (n/V)^2) (V - n b) = n R T to B=V/n? I don't see how you could deduce with algebra how you are supposed to isolate the terms a and b when you know neither of their units.

Saado said:
How would I get from (P + a (n/V)^2) (V - n b) = n R T to B=V/n?
I guess you mean here ##[ b ] = [V] / [n]##? (The brakets around b are causing problems since it also means bold.) This comes simply from the fact that you have the term ##(V - n b)##. The only way for this to make sense is if both ##V## and ##nb## have the same units. An expression like ##3 \mathrm{m} - 10 \mathrm{s}^{-1}## is completely meaningless. You therefore set ##[V] = [n][ b ]## and find out the units for ##b##.

Saado said:
I don't see how you could deduce with algebra how you are supposed to isolate the terms a and b when you know neither of their units.
I'm not sure what you are asking here. To work with an equation like (P + a (n/V)2) (V - n b) = n R T requires no knowledge of the units of the different variables. It's only when you need to input numerical values that units are necessary.

Likes Saado
THANK YOU! I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Yes, this makes perfect sense.

1. What are Van der Waals constants?

Van der Waals constants are numerical values that describe the strength of intermolecular forces between particles, such as molecules or atoms. These forces are responsible for the attractive or repulsive interactions between particles in a substance.

2. How are Van der Waals constants determined?

Van der Waals constants are determined experimentally by measuring the properties of a substance, such as its boiling point or critical temperature, and using mathematical equations to calculate the constants. These constants can also be estimated using theoretical models and molecular simulations.

3. What is the significance of Van der Waals constants in chemistry?

Van der Waals constants are important in understanding the behavior and properties of gases and liquids. They are used in equations of state, which describe the relationships between a substance's temperature, pressure, and volume. These constants also play a role in predicting the behavior of substances under different conditions.

4. Do Van der Waals constants vary for different substances?

Yes, Van der Waals constants vary for different substances because they are dependent on the type of particles and their interactions. For example, the constants for a gas will be different from those of a liquid due to the different forces at play.

5. Can Van der Waals constants be modified?

Yes, Van der Waals constants can be modified to account for different conditions, such as temperature and pressure. This allows for more accurate predictions of a substance's behavior. Additionally, modified Van der Waals constants can be used in different equations of state to describe the properties of a substance more accurately.