1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I derive these results (multivariable calculus in thermodynamics context)?

1. Nov 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The thermodynamic state of a system may be defined by setting any 2 of the variables P, V and T to be constant because they are related by f(P,V,T)=0.

Given a thermodynamic function K(V,T), prove that:

(∂K/∂T)_P = (∂K/∂T)_V + [(∂K/∂V)_T]*[(∂V/∂T)_P]

and that

(∂K/∂P)_T = [(∂K/∂V)_T]*[∂V/∂P)_T]

2. The attempt at a solution
    To be honest I have written down various differentials and tried to combine them in various ways to get these results but to no avail.

Obviously an expression for dK would be useful:

dK = [(∂K/∂V)_T]dV + [(∂K/∂T)_V]dT

Since f(P,V,T) = 0, I can say that p is a function of V and T, and then:

dP = [(∂P/∂V)_T]dV + [(∂P/∂T)_V]dT

Similarly:

dV = [(∂V/∂P)_T]dP + [(∂V/∂T)_P]dT
    dT = [(∂T/∂V)_P]dV + [(∂T/∂P)_V]dP

But I cannot combine these to make the required results, and can't think of anything else I can write down.

I did write that since P is a function of V and T and K is a function of V and T then K is a function of P -- but I've just thought this isn't actually (necessarily) correct?

Any help/hints on this would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted