How do I find the pressure capacity of a tungsten tube?

In summary, to find the maximum psi or atm capacity of a tungsten tube of 99.9% tungsten, you can look up the Young's Modulus or Elastic Modulus for both tungsten and stainless steel. This will give you a general idea of the relative pressure resistance properties of the materials. However, the distribution of tensions and the shape of the container also play a role in determining the maximum pressure a tube can withstand.
achilles89
I am looking to find the maximum psi or atm capacity of a tungsten tube of 99.9% tungsten. How would I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
how thick are the walls of the tube? And what is the radius of the tube?

I don't have a particular dimension of tube yet. I am more concerned with the general pressure resistance properties of tungsten as a material; I haven't been able to find much on how much pressure it can take when compared to a stainless steel tube of the same width/radius. Any ideas?

Look up Young's Modulus or Elastic Modulus (same thing) for both materials.

You can get a general idea regarding the relative resistance of the materials by comparing the tensile strength.
Here is a table that shows both steel and tungsten.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_tensile_strength

However is just a very general idea. The distribution of the tensions in the is not uniform and the difference in elasticities may play a role too.
Besides, the tensile strength is not the pressure of the gas which will produce the breaking. The exact relationship between the pressure of the gas and the tension in the expanding walls depends on the shape of the container.

1. What is the formula for calculating the pressure capacity of a tungsten tube?

The formula for calculating the pressure capacity of a tungsten tube is P = (2 * σ * t) / r, where P is the pressure capacity, σ is the yield strength of tungsten, t is the thickness of the tube, and r is the radius of the tube.

2. How do I determine the yield strength of tungsten for the calculation?

The yield strength of tungsten can be found in material data sheets or by conducting experiments. It is a measure of the maximum stress the material can withstand before deforming permanently.

3. Is there a standard maximum pressure capacity for tungsten tubes?

No, the maximum pressure capacity of a tungsten tube can vary depending on its dimensions, material properties, and manufacturing process. It is important to calculate the pressure capacity for each specific tube.

4. Can the pressure capacity of a tungsten tube be increased?

Yes, the pressure capacity of a tungsten tube can be increased by increasing its thickness or decreasing its radius. However, these changes may also affect other properties of the tube, so it is important to carefully consider the trade-offs.

5. Are there any safety precautions to be aware of when using a tungsten tube at high pressures?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the tube is properly installed and secured to avoid any potential accidents or failures. It is also recommended to regularly inspect the tube for any signs of damage or wear that could affect its pressure capacity.