1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find the pressure capacity of a tungsten tube?

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    I am looking to find the maximum psi or atm capacity of a tungsten tube of 99.9% tungsten. How would I do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2
    how thick are the walls of the tube? And what is the radius of the tube?

4. Sep 29, 2011 #3
    I don't have a particular dimension of tube yet. I am more concerned with the general pressure resistance properties of tungsten as a material; I haven't been able to find much on how much pressure it can take when compared to a stainless steel tube of the same width/radius. Any ideas?

5. Sep 29, 2011 #4
    Look up Young's Modulus or Elastic Modulus (same thing) for both materials.

6. Sep 29, 2011 #5
    You can get a general idea regarding the relative resistance of the materials by comparing the tensile strength.
    Here is a table that shows both steel and tungsten.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_tensile_strength

However is just a very general idea. The distribution of the tensions in the is not uniform and the difference in elasticities may play a role too.
    Besides, the tensile strength is not the pressure of the gas which will produce the breaking. The exact relationship between the pressure of the gas and the tension in the expanding walls depends on the shape of the container.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook