How Do I Find the Speed Without Friction?

• Thread starter max1020
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the children are going tobogganing on an icy hill with a combined mass of 90 kg. Their starting positions are A at 10m, B at 0m, and C at 3m. The potential energy for A is 8820J and the only known information is the mass and initial velocity. Using conservation of energy, the total mechanical energy for A is equal to the sum of kinetic and gravitational potential energy. Since there is no friction, all of the potential energy at point A will be converted into kinetic energy at point B. The formula to find the velocity from kinetic energy is V=sqrt(2k/m).
max1020
some children go tobogganing on an icy hill. They start from rest at the top of the hill as shown in the diagram. The toboggan and children have a combined mass of 90 kg. If friction is small enough to be ignored, determine:
The speed of the toboggan at B
A is at 10m
B is at 0
C is at 3m
I only know the potential energy for A, the mass, and initial velocity

Physics news on Phys.org
max1020 said:
I only know the potential energy for A, the mass, and initial velocity

You know the potential energy for A relative to where? Relative to B?

If so, then that's enough information.

You know about conservation of energy, right? All of the potential energy of A relative to B will have been converted into kinetic energy (at point B).

I know the total mechanical energy for A which is 8820J

That is the sum of the kinetic and gravitational potential energy at point A?

If so, then that sum will have the same value at point B.

But how do I use that to find speed? Is there a formula for that

Conservation of energy: the total of potential energy and kinetic energy is constant. You know the potential energy at the top where the kinetic energy is 0. At a lower point where the potential energy is lower, the kinetic energy is the difference between the two potential energies. You can find the velocity from the kinetic energy.

max1020 said:
But how do I use that to find speed? Is there a formula for that

Do you know a formula that relates the K.E. of an object to its velocity?

NascentOxygen said:
Do you know a formula that relates the K.E. of an object to its velocity?

Is it
V=sqrt2k/m

max1020 said:
Is it
V=sqrt2k/m

No, not quite right...but you could make it right be adding a pair of parentheses. :wink:

Related to How Do I Find the Speed Without Friction?

1. How do I calculate speed?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is: speed = distance / time.

2. What units are used to measure speed?

The most commonly used units to measure speed are meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), and miles per hour (mph). However, depending on the context, other units such as feet per second (ft/s) or knots (nautical miles per hour) may also be used.

3. How can I find the average speed?

To find the average speed, you need to divide the total distance traveled by the total time taken. For example, if a car travels 200 kilometers in 4 hours, the average speed would be 200 km / 4 hours = 50 km/h.

4. How do I find the speed of an object in a specific direction?

The speed of an object in a specific direction is called velocity. To find velocity, you need to know both the speed and direction of the object. You can represent velocity as a vector, with the magnitude (speed) and direction (usually indicated by an arrow) specified.

5. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

The main difference between speed and velocity is that velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude. In other words, velocity not only tells you how fast an object is moving but also in which direction it is moving.