How do I interpret this integral answer?

• Thread starter armolinasf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the question is asking how much work is required to pump all the water out of a swimming pool with dimensions 30ft x 16ft x 10ft, assuming the density of water is 62.4 lbs/ft^3 and the pump is always at the level of the water. The first part of the solution calculates the work to be 1497600 ft-lbs. The second part of the solution involves integrating the volume of the pool (4800 ft^3) with the density and a constant of 10 (representing the height of the pool) to get a work value of 2995200 ft-lbs. This is because if the pump is at the bottom of the pool, all
armolinasf

Homework Statement

There is a swimming pool with length 30ft, width 16ft, and height 10ft. How much work is done to pump all of the water out of the pool assuming that the density of water is 62.4 and that the pump of the hose floats at the level of water at all time.

Then find the answer if the pump hose lies at the bottom of the pool.

Homework Equations

Work=Force*Distance

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part is straight forward enough: 16*30*62.4*(100/2)=1497600 ft-lbs

But I'm having trouble understanding the solution to the second part:

16*30*62.4 [tex]\int^{10}_{0}[/tex] 10dh

Can someone explain to me why you would integrate 10? Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
where did you get the 10 inside the integral?

that's the answer in my book and I'm trying to figure out why it is. So I am basically asking the same question as you.

Ohh i gotcha now.

well, if we multiply 30, 16, and 10, (the dimensions of the pool), we get a volume in cubic feet. this is achieved by pulling the 10 out of the integral, since its a constant.
this is a Volume. Now, what units are the density? this is probably the key.

also, think about the integral. if you pull the 10 out like i said above, what does it become? what does it represent?

density is 62.4 lbs/ft^3. so if I pull the ten out of the integral I get volume times density and then times the antiderivative of dh evaluated from zero to 10 which is just 10. that would then give me volume times density times ten: 16*30*10*62.4*10=2995200. Tis doesn't make sense though since it means there's more work required than for the first part.

That's right. If the pump sits at the top of the water as it pumps, some water has to go barely any distance, since its already closer to the top of the water as its pumped out. If the pump is at the bottom however, all the water will have to go the whole depth of the pool to get pumped out, hence more work.

But wouldn't the water at the bottom of the pool have to travel less distance to get to the pump if its at the bottom than the water at the top?

I think you're missing what the work in this case means. The work is the energy the pump puts into move the water out of the pool, not the energy required to get the water to the pump.

I got it. By the pump being at the bottom, I was thinking that it was essentially draining from the bottom. In the case it would be the work done by gravity to empty it. But I got it now thanks.

1. How do I interpret the numerical value of the integral?

The numerical value of an integral represents the area under the curve of the integrand function. This means that the integral is calculating the total accumulation of the function over the given interval. The value will depend on the specific function and interval used in the integral.

2. What do the upper and lower limits of integration represent?

The upper and lower limits of integration represent the starting and ending points of the interval over which the integral is being calculated. These limits determine the range of values that will be used in the integration process.

3. How do I know if my integral answer is correct?

One way to check if an integral answer is correct is to use a graphing calculator or software to graph the integrand function and visually compare the area under the curve to the numerical value of the integral. Another method is to use mathematical techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to verify the answer.

4. Can I use an integral to solve a real-world problem?

Yes, integrals are often used in science and engineering to solve real-world problems involving rates of change, area, volume, and more. They can be used to model and analyze a variety of physical phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when interpreting an integral answer?

Some common mistakes to avoid when interpreting an integral answer include forgetting to include the constant of integration, using the wrong limits of integration, and forgetting to simplify the answer. It is also important to check for potential errors, such as incorrect use of the fundamental theorem of calculus or incorrect algebraic manipulation.