Obtain Normal Vector of Bubble Wall in Spacetime

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the normal vector for a bubble embedded in a spacetime with metric. The speaker mentions following a time-like trajectory and provides equations from a paper that computed the norm for a similar metric. They also clarify that the parameters R and T are coordinates on the bubble wall as functions of proper time.
John Greger
TL;DR Summary
Want to compute the normal vector of a bubble wall embedded in a spacetime with metric.
So say I have a bubble embedded in a spacetime with metric:
$$ds^2 = -dt^2 + a(t) ( dr^2 + r^2 d\Omega^2_2) $$

how do I compute the normal vector if I assume the wall of the bubble the metric represents follows a time-like trajectory, for any ##a(t)##?

Since we are interested in dynamical solutions, we let the positions on the brane be ##(t,r, \theta, \phi) \rightarrow (T(\tau), R(\tau), \theta, \phi)##.

Here:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0003173.pdf
in equation 3,4, they have computed the norm for the brane in a similar fashion but for a different metric. They had ##ds^2 = -u(r) dt^2 + \frac{1}{u(r)}dr^2 + r^2 d\Omega_3^2## and got ##N_a = (-\dot{R}, \dot{T},0,0,0)## so I also expect to have a #\dot{T}# in my normal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give more information, so that we don't have to read the paper. For instance, this
John Greger said:
Since we are interested in dynamical solutions, we let the positions on the brane be ##(t,r, \theta, \phi) \rightarrow (T(\tau), R(\tau), \theta, \phi)##.
looks like a curve not a surface. Or is this a one parameter family of surfaces, ##\tau## the parameter of the family and ##\theta, \phi## the surface parameters?

martinbn said:
Can you give more information, so that we don't have to read the paper. For instance, this

looks like a curve not a surface. Or is this a one parameter family of surfaces, ##\tau## the parameter of the family and ##\theta, \phi## the surface parameters?
Hi!The dot is ##\partial_\tau##. The parameters R and T are coordinates on the bubble wall as functions of proper time. Sorry for not giving more context from the paper, I believe it is not very useful, they more or less just state the norm of a bubble wall in a different spacetime background, but I do not understand how they obtained it either. But I believe it could give a hint on the form of the normal vector I am looking for but I am not sure.

Last edited:

1. What is a normal vector of a bubble wall in spacetime?

A normal vector of a bubble wall in spacetime is a vector that is perpendicular to the surface of the bubble wall at a specific point in spacetime. It is used to determine the direction in which the bubble wall is expanding or contracting.

2. How is the normal vector of a bubble wall in spacetime obtained?

The normal vector of a bubble wall in spacetime can be obtained through mathematical calculations using the spacetime coordinates and the properties of the bubble wall, such as its radius and expansion rate. It can also be obtained experimentally through measurements of the curvature of the bubble wall.

3. Why is it important to obtain the normal vector of a bubble wall in spacetime?

The normal vector of a bubble wall in spacetime is important because it provides information about the dynamics of the bubble wall and its interaction with the surrounding spacetime. It can also be used to study the properties of the bubble wall, such as its stability and growth rate.

4. Can the normal vector of a bubble wall in spacetime change over time?

Yes, the normal vector of a bubble wall in spacetime can change over time as the bubble wall expands or contracts. It can also change due to external factors, such as the presence of matter or energy in the surrounding spacetime.

5. How does the normal vector of a bubble wall in spacetime relate to the concept of spacetime curvature?

The normal vector of a bubble wall in spacetime is related to the concept of spacetime curvature because it is a measure of the curvature of the bubble wall itself. The direction and magnitude of the normal vector can provide information about the local curvature of spacetime at the surface of the bubble wall.