1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I rank these leaving groups?

1. Feb 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known.
    Rank the following leaving group in order of increasing ability to leave?
    A) H2O B) NH2 C) OH D) I E) NH3

2. Relevant equations
    Also not entirely sure the order of H2O and NH3. What should I be looking for to answer this portion of the question?
    Also my study group believes the better leaving group is a halogen. Is that correct?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the answer is
    B<C<D<A<E
    My study group thinks it may be B<C<A<E<D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 15, 2016 #3
    No it is not. What you had linked to is in regards to the bond dissociation of a molecule when creating, what I believe to be, a free radical. Or when the two substances dissociated from each other leave with an unpaired electron. A leaving group in my question deals with one that leaves with a charge or in the case with H2O and NH3, had a charge when attached but when it leaves the two groups have a zero charge.
    Here is a wiki article fresh_42 on the leaving group.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaving_group

5. Feb 15, 2016 #4
    I believe that the most effective leaving group is going to be the weakest base. So in this case the best way to figure it out would be to look at a table of pka values and rank them in order of which pka values are the lowest.

6. Feb 15, 2016 #5
    leaving-groups-copy.jpg

7. Feb 15, 2016 #6
    I got that image from http://www.masterorganicchemistry.com/2011/04/12/what-makes-a-good-leaving-group/
    So from that graph and using the pka values the order should be b<c<e<a<d.
    It is very odd to me that a charged halogen is a better leaving group than a zero charged NH3 or H2O. My reasoning for why I think this is odd is because I tend to think the stability or ΔG is greater (G is lower in number) in the H2O and NH3 and the ΔG for the I- is to a lesser extent (or higher number in free energy). Due to the lower energy of the H2O and NH3 they would be a better leaving group. I know that I am wrong in this thinking but I am I totally off base here? Maybe I have the ΔG values incorrect and the halogen is more stable? Other than the pka values what would be a good way to develop my intuition as to why these halogens (except F) are better at leaving? Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted