How do I solve a surface charge problem for a cylindrical drum?

In summary, the problem is asking for an estimate of the amount of charge on a cylindrical drum of a copy machine, given its length and radius, and the electric field near its surface. To find the charge, one can use the equation Q=E(2*pi*r*L)/E0 or Q=o*2pi*r*L, where o is the charge density. The student may have encountered difficulty with the online homework website's strict acceptance of only exact answers without showing work.
pulser45
Hi, I need help with a surface charge problem:

The cylindrical drum of a copy machine is 40 cm long and has a radius of 5 cm. If charge is uniformly distributed over the curved surface of the drum, and the electric field near the surface is 2 x 10^5 N/C, estimate the amount of charge on the drum.

I know you set the electric flux to Q/E0. I calculated the Q = o*2pi*r*L. Since electric flux E(2*pi*r*L) should cancel out 2pi*r*L when setting them both equally, leaving E=o/E0. However, i still keep getting the wrong answer. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks ok to me. You probably used your Gaussian surface (cilinder) having the same radius as the cilinder itself, because you know the field very near the surface. This way you can cancel the r's, giving o=E/E0.
So multipy the charge density by the surface area to get the total charge.

Alternatively, you could've used E(2*pi*r*L)=Q/E0
and plug in the numbers immediately to find Q.

This way you can cancel the r's, giving o=E/E0.

Wouldn't o=E*E0 ? So i would just multiply o by 2*pi*r*L and I would be fine?

My professor adopted this online homework website from ilrn. IMHO, its horrible, because it will only accept the exact answer that was entered. No partial credit given at all because you don't even show your work. Thanks.

1. What is the surface charge problem?

The surface charge problem refers to the phenomenon where a charge imbalance occurs at the interface between two materials or phases, such as between a solid and a liquid. This can lead to unexpected behavior and difficulties in accurately measuring and predicting the behavior of the system.

2. What causes surface charge?

Surface charge is caused by the unequal distribution of charges at the interface between two materials. This can be due to differences in electronegativity, surface roughness, or the presence of charged molecules or ions on the surface.

3. How does surface charge affect experiments and measurements?

Surface charge can affect experiments and measurements in several ways. It can alter the behavior of particles or molecules at the surface, leading to inaccurate results. It can also interfere with the accuracy of instruments used to measure surface properties or manipulate particles at the surface.

4. How can surface charge be mitigated?

To mitigate surface charge, various techniques can be employed such as using surfactants or electrolytes to neutralize the charges, adjusting pH levels, or using specialized coatings on surfaces to minimize charge buildup. It is also important to carefully consider experimental conditions and techniques to minimize the effects of surface charge.

5. What are the implications of surface charge in real-world applications?

Surface charge has significant implications in various fields such as medicine, materials science, and environmental science. In medicine, it can affect the behavior of drugs or nanoparticles in the body, while in materials science it can impact the properties of coatings or thin films. In environmental science, surface charge can affect the transport and fate of pollutants in soils and water bodies.