How do I solve the integral of sqrt(x)/(sqrt(x-1))?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Siune
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 24K views
Siune
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


[itex]\int[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{x}/\sqrt{x-1}[/itex] )dx.


Homework Equations


-


The Attempt at a Solution



It should be doable with substitution or/and with partial intergral. I just don't figure out what to substitute. I have tried with u = √(x-1), u = √(x), and with partial integral formula:

∫u*v´ = u*v - ∫v * u´

Any tips?

Thanks for any help
-Siune
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Siune said:

Homework Statement


[itex]\int[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{x}/\sqrt{x-1}[/itex] )dx.

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



It should be doable with substitution or/and with partial intergral. I just don't figure out what to substitute. I have tried with u = √(x-1), u = √(x), and with partial integral formula:

∫u*v´ = u*v - ∫v * u´

Any tips?

Thanks for any help
-Siune
Hello Siune. Welcome to PF .

Try the substitution, u = x-1 .
 
I think much simpler is to let [itex]u= \sqrt{x}[/itex]. Now what are dx and x- 1 in terms of u and du?
 
SammyS said:
Hello Siune. Welcome to PF .

Try the substitution, u = x-1 .
The result of this is no better than the original.
 
don't use partial integral, first multiply the integrand ∫(√x/√(x−1))dx to √x/√x..

Moderator note: I removed the subsequent work shown. Please let the OP try to work out the problem on his or her own.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
^

Adding that extra sqrt(x) was clever. I seem to understand and accept with everything, but there is the part

"divide 2x-1 to x"?

U mean I calculate u = 2x-1 [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] x = (1/2)(u+1)?
which is then x dx = (1/2)(u+1) du?


I'm sorry I might seem like totally idiot, but until university, sign (dx/du) was totally unknown to me so I'm not familiar with it and don't know how it exactly behaves.

To HallsOfIvy, thanks for the tip.