How do I solve the integral of sqrt(x)/(sqrt(x-1))?

• Thread starter Siune
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about finding a solution for the integration problem \int(\sqrt{x}/\sqrt{x-1} )dx. The participants discuss possible substitutions and the use of the partial integral formula, with one suggesting the substitution u = x-1 and the other suggesting u = \sqrt{x}. The conversation also includes a clarification on how to handle the division of 2x-1 and a request for more explanation on the use of dx/du.
Siune

Homework Statement

[itex]\int[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{x}/\sqrt{x-1}[/itex] )dx.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

It should be doable with substitution or/and with partial intergral. I just don't figure out what to substitute. I have tried with u = √(x-1), u = √(x), and with partial integral formula:

∫u*v´ = u*v - ∫v * u´

Any tips?

Thanks for any help
-Siune

Physics news on Phys.org
Siune said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\int[/itex]([itex]\sqrt{x}/\sqrt{x-1}[/itex] )dx.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It should be doable with substitution or/and with partial intergral. I just don't figure out what to substitute. I have tried with u = √(x-1), u = √(x), and with partial integral formula:

∫u*v´ = u*v - ∫v * u´

Any tips?

Thanks for any help
-Siune
Hello Siune. Welcome to PF .

Try the substitution, u = x-1 .

I think much simpler is to let [itex]u= \sqrt{x}[/itex]. Now what are dx and x- 1 in terms of u and du?

SammyS said:
Hello Siune. Welcome to PF .

Try the substitution, u = x-1 .
The result of this is no better than the original.

don't use partial integral, first multiply the integrand ∫(√x/√(x−1))dx to √x/√x..

Moderator note: I removed the subsequent work shown. Please let the OP try to work out the problem on his or her own.

Last edited by a moderator:
^

Adding that extra sqrt(x) was clever. I seem to understand and accept with everything, but there is the part

"divide 2x-1 to x"?

U mean I calculate u = 2x-1 [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] x = (1/2)(u+1)?
which is then x dx = (1/2)(u+1) du?

I'm sorry I might seem like totally idiot, but until university, sign (dx/du) was totally unknown to me so I'm not familiar with it and don't know how it exactly behaves.

To HallsOfIvy, thanks for the tip.

Related to How do I solve the integral of sqrt(x)/(sqrt(x-1))?

1. What is the integral of sqrt((x)/(x-1))?

The integral of sqrt((x)/(x-1)) is equal to -2sqrt((x)/(x-1)) + 2ln(sqrt(x)-1) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the integral of sqrt((x)/(x-1))?

To solve the integral of sqrt((x)/(x-1)), you can use the substitution method or integration by parts. The substitution method involves substituting u for sqrt(x-1) and solving the resulting integral. Integration by parts involves breaking down the integral into two parts and using the formula: ∫ u dv = uv - ∫ v du.

3. Can you simplify the integral of sqrt((x)/(x-1))?

Yes, the integral of sqrt((x)/(x-1)) can be simplified by using algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities. However, the final result will still contain terms such as sqrt(x) and ln(x), which cannot be further simplified.

4. What is the domain of the integral of sqrt((x)/(x-1))?

The domain of the integral of sqrt((x)/(x-1)) is all real numbers greater than 1. This is because the function sqrt((x)/(x-1)) is undefined at x=1 due to division by zero.

5. What is the significance of the integral of sqrt((x)/(x-1))?

The integral of sqrt((x)/(x-1)) has various applications in mathematics and physics. It can be used to calculate areas and volumes of certain shapes, as well as solving differential equations in mechanics and electromagnetism. It is also used in the calculation of arc length and surface area of revolution.