How do I tell if the Wien bridge oscillator I built works

In summary: AN-112.pdfIn summary, you can try connecting a capacitor and meter in series across the oscillator output to see if it is oscillating and then increasing the value of the capacitor to see if it oscillates at a higher frequency.
David lopez
I built a wien bridge oscillator. But how do I tell if it works? I am very new to building circuits. I recently
Starting making circuits on a breadboard. I have not taken any
Electronics class. I am trying to learn how to do this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What frequency do you expect your oscillator to generate?
Please post the circuit you used with component values.
Drag and drop it onto your next post here.

• Did you build it from some instructions?
  • Do you know what frequency it is supposed to oscillate at?
  • Where did you get your circuit diagram?
  • Can you show the diagram?

I'm guessing you do not have an oscilloscope. If the target frequency is in the audio range (less than 15000 Hz), you could hook up a small speaker or earphones and perhaps hear the sound. You could download a music tuning app on your phone (like Panotuner or DA tuner) to find out what frequency it is. Or another useful app is from https://phyphox.org/ (Android or IOS).
Spectroid is an Android app to show frequency sound spectrum.

I followed instructions from the website "how to build wien Bridge oscillator circuit learning about electronics articles". I used two capacitors both have 470 microfarad
And two resistors both have 1000 ohms. And I used an operational amplifier. the equation I used to calculate the expected frequency is
1/2πRC. I calculate 0.3791 hertz. Does that mean you get 1 cycle every 2.64 seconds?

IMHO, you'll be lucky getting that low a frequency to work reliably at first...
In my amateur experience, albeit with '741' op-amps, Wien Bridge oscillators often refused to 'play nice'. A gross mismatch between the R vs C impedances was often the cause. Unrelated but analogous failures abound in 'flip-flop' _-_-_-_- multivibrators when RC pairings are too unbalanced, intended function swamped by 'second order' stuff...

FWIW, trouble-shooting an 'accidental' ELF oscillator can be quite the head-scratcher as an op-amp's vast low-frequency gain may out-flank you...

Try swapping RC components to raise the working frequency to mid-audio 1 kHz ~ 10 kHz range ? A take-off capacitor and a pair of $1 headphones should suffice to check function. Or, given the capacitor, a budget multimeter on 'AC Volts'.

Get the beast working in mid-range, then work outwards by wary stages.

( I began with soldered strip-board, grabbed my first solderless breadboard, an 'S-Dec', with cries of glee. Got more done in a week using that than in previous six months. Iteration is a powerful, powerful learning tool... )

Likes scottdave, jrmichler and anorlunda
David lopez said:
I built a wien bridge oscillator. But how do I tell if it works?

David lopez said:
I calculate 0.3791 hertz. Does that mean you get 1 cycle every 2.64 seconds?

At that low frequency you could put a capacitor and meter in series across the output.
You should see the polarity reverse every ##\frac{2.64}{2}## seconds.

David lopez said:
I built a wien bridge oscillator. But how do I tell if it works? I am very new to building circuits. I recently
Starting making circuits on a breadboard. I have not taken any
Electronics class. I am trying to learn how to do this.
Since you are new to learning about electronics and wanting to keep learning more, I'd suggest looking into inexpensive simple USB-based oscilloscopes. That will give you a basic way to see what your circuits are doing, and help you to build more complicated projects in the next year or two.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/any-recommendations-for-a-good-cheap-usb-oscilloscope.936167/

http://www.bitscope.com/product/BS05/

upload_2019-2-20_9-21-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-20_9-21-11.png
    upload_2019-2-20_9-21-11.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 514

1. How do I test the output of my Wien bridge oscillator?

The most common way to test the output of a Wien bridge oscillator is to use an oscilloscope. Connect the probe of the oscilloscope to the output of the oscillator and adjust the settings until you see a sinusoidal waveform. You can also use a multimeter to measure the amplitude and frequency of the output signal.

2. What should the output of a working Wien bridge oscillator look like?

The output of a working Wien bridge oscillator should be a stable, sinusoidal waveform with a consistent amplitude and frequency. It should also have a low level of distortion and noise.

3. How can I troubleshoot if my Wien bridge oscillator is not working?

If your Wien bridge oscillator is not working, there are a few things you can check. First, make sure all the components are connected properly and there are no loose connections. You can also try adjusting the values of the resistors and capacitors in the circuit to see if that improves the output. If all else fails, you may need to replace faulty components or seek help from an experienced technician.

4. Can I use a function generator to test my Wien bridge oscillator?

Yes, you can use a function generator to test your Wien bridge oscillator. Set the function generator to produce a sinusoidal waveform at the desired frequency and connect it to the input of the oscillator. If the oscillator is working properly, it should amplify the signal and produce a similar output waveform.

5. Is there a way to calculate the expected output frequency of a Wien bridge oscillator?

Yes, the expected output frequency of a Wien bridge oscillator can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2πRC), where f is the frequency in hertz, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. By adjusting the values of R and C, you can change the frequency of the oscillator's output signal.