I am trying to build a radio to transmit Morse code

In summary, the author is trying to build a radio to transmit morse code. He has built a wien bridge oscillator on a breadboard, and thinks the wien bridge oscillator works. He wants to attach an antenna, but doesn't know if it is necessary or not. He has never built a radio before, so he is trying to learn what it takes to build a transmitter, the test gear required, the license he needs to legally transmit, and where to find resources.
David lopez
I am trying to build a radio to transmit morse code. I have built
A wien bridge oscillator on a breadboard. I think the wien bridge
Oscillator works. How long should
The antenna be?

Engineering news on Phys.org
David lopez said:
I am trying to build a radio to transmit morse code. I have built
A wien bridge oscillator on a breadboard. I think the wien bridge
Oscillator works. How long should
The antenna be?
Oh, about this long, but no longer... :rolleyes:

Why are you wanting to attach an antenna? Why not just drive an audio speaker so you can hear the Morse and maybe use it as a "practice buddy"? Are you using a microcontroller to generate the Morse code?

I am trying to get into radio engineering. I have never built any device that could generate radio waves
Before.

David lopez said:
I am trying to get into radio engineering. I have never built any device that could generate radio waves
Before.
Sounds like a good goal, and getting your Amateur Radio license is a good start (see my footer below).

But keep in mind that you can't just start transmitting signals in the RF bands without learning a lot more about what powers are allowed in what bands, with what types of modulation, and where licenses are required versus the unlicensed (ISM-type) bands.

What is your school background so far? What electronics classes have you had? Have you had any E&M classes yet? Does your school have an electronics club? Have you looked around locally to see if there is an Amateur Radio (HAM) club? Those clubs are good places to start to learn the basics of radio design, and they will help you to learn what radio bands are the best to do your first experimenting in. :smile:

Likes jim hardy
Likes dlgoff
berkeman said:
Here is a link to our local HAM radio club, for example... https://sbara.org/

:smile:
From personal experience, a HAM operator can teach you a lot more than radio electronics. My HAM mentor taught me lots of good building practices and use of tools & test equipment.

Likes davenn, Klystron and berkeman
Okay. So what would be a good project
For somebody with experience building
Radios.

David lopez said:
I am trying to build a radio to transmit morse code.
What frequency will your transmitter use?
Who will listen to the morse code you transmit?
How will you know if someone replies?
Do you have a receiver?

David lopez said:
I have never built any device that could generate radio waves
Before.
David lopez said:
Okay. So what would be a good project
For somebody with experience building
Radios.
TBH, that's kind of a strange follow-up post. If not for you, who are we making these suggestions for?

I meant somebody with no experience.
Just trying to figure out where to get started.

David lopez said:
Do as Berkeman suggested and get in touch with a ham radio club in your area ( where-ever that is ??)
Learn what it takes to build a transmitter, the test gear required, the license you need to legally transmit etc
Most radio clubs have facilities for teaching and helping people to learn the material to be able to sit the license examsDave

Likes sophiecentaur
David lopez said:
You need a copy of the ARRL Handbook for Radio Amateurs.
Ask a local radio amateur to find you an old copy.
If you knock on my door I will give you a free copy.
What country are you in and what city are you near?

Likes sophiecentaur, dlgoff and berkeman
David lopez said:
Oh, so it was a typo. Got it. :smile:
The first radio-type thing I built was a small radio receiver kit. I don't remember if it was for the AM or FM band, but it was fun and useful to build. I was still very new at soldering, so my dad bought me a simple Weller soldering iron and helped me learn how to use it. The kits were through-hole back then (and the starter kits probably are still through-hole to make them easy to build).

After that, I bought an FM transmitter kit and put it together. They are designed to put out a low enough power that they don't violate the FCC limits on transmit power for an unlicensed radio transmitter, but still strong enough to be picked up on a commercial FM radio at a range of up to about 30 meters. That was really fun to play with.

Have a look at similar kits to see if you would enjoy building them. They generally come with the schematic and an explanation of what the circuitry is doing, which is a great learning aid. And beyond that, the ARRL/HAM resources already suggested are a good next step.

Would you be able to take an electronics class at your local community college? That also would help you to get further in understanding radio circuits and how to analyze and build them.

EDIT -- I was searching just now for simple radio kits to suggest, and apparently there are newer versions that combine multiple radio projects on the same board (pretty inexpensive too)! Wish these were available when I was a kid! :biggrin:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...0.0.0...0.iqlfxVniC80#spd=5570988040967728883

upload_2019-2-20_6-55-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-20_6-55-28.png
    upload_2019-2-20_6-55-28.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 676
Likes sophiecentaur and davenn
Anyone remember those old Radio Shack electronic kits with all the parts you could need with springs for attaching wires? The thing I learned the most was how a circuit got constructed; there always seemed to be a common theme. Not that I am recommending that but it sure brings some memories back after reading this post.

Likes sophiecentaur, dlgoff, Klystron and 1 other person
David lopez said:
Before.
So far so good and no one will come knocking on your door and arrest you (.. .. .. .yet) . If you have a dream of communicating 'over the ether' then you need to be legal. It is all too easy to generate signals which can interfere with existing services and there are strict rules. If you want to get into radio, a Morse code beeper could be fun and it can all be done at 'audio' frequencies. Before you contemplate making an actual radio transmitter, you should think in terms of making a receiver. After all, you can always test a receiver using off-air signals but what a home made transmitter is producing is a mystery if you cannot receive it.
Hold off as long as possible before trying to build RF equipment, though. Fill your shelves with Radio Electronics Mags and read all you can. (On-line equivalents are available).
Search the Net for local HAM Radio societies. There will almost certainly be someone within a reasonable distance of your home and, as with all enthusiasts, that person will tell you most of what you need to know (and more!).

Likes dlgoff and berkeman
Google electronic kits

A suggestion for the OP:

Start by going to http://www.arrl.org

Lots of info there on how to get started, where the nearest HAM club is, and what materials you need to start, even if there is no nearby club or you just want to get started on your own. Lots of radio info and the basic study materials for your HAM technician license as well.

Check it out.

diogenesNY

Likes dlgoff and berkeman

1. How does a radio transmit Morse code?

A radio transmits Morse code by converting electrical signals into radio waves, which are then transmitted through the air. The radio receiver on the other end then converts the radio waves back into electrical signals, which are then decoded into the corresponding Morse code.

2. What components are needed to build a radio for transmitting Morse code?

To build a radio for transmitting Morse code, you will need a power source, a transmitter, an antenna, and a key or button to control the transmission of Morse code. You may also need additional components such as resistors and capacitors to fine-tune the radio's frequency and range.

3. How does Morse code work with a radio?

Morse code is a system of communication that uses a series of short and long signals, known as dots and dashes, to represent letters, numbers, and other characters. A radio transmitter can be programmed to send these signals in the form of radio waves, which can then be received and decoded by a radio receiver on the other end.

4. Can I use any type of radio to transmit Morse code?

Yes, you can use any type of radio to transmit Morse code as long as it has the necessary components and can be tuned to the desired frequency. However, it is recommended to use a radio specifically designed for Morse code transmission, as it will be more efficient and accurate.

5. Is it difficult to build a radio for transmitting Morse code?

Building a radio for transmitting Morse code can be a challenging task, especially for those who do not have experience with electronics. It requires knowledge of circuitry, soldering, and radio frequency principles. However, with the right resources and guidance, it is possible to build a functional radio for transmitting Morse code.