How do i use this performance graph

In summary, the conversation revolved around planning a flight from Heathrow to Glasgow and calculating the time, fuel, and distance for the initial climb to cruise level and departure from the airport. The individual had received an aircraft manual and found a graph attached, but was unsure how to use it due to the pressure altitude at Heathrow being -187 feet. It was suggested to use 0 feet instead, which was confirmed by another person in the conversation. The individual was also advised to check out the Professional Pilots forum for further assistance.
MattH150197
So i have an assignment to plan a flight from Heathrow to Glasgow and I am trying to calculate the time fuel and distance for the inital climb to cruise level and departing the airport, we have been given an aircraft manual and i have found the graph attached however i have calculated the pressure altitude at Heathrow to be -187 feet so how do i use the graph, any ideas? Thanks

Attachments

• cruise climb graph.png
    cruise climb graph.png
    59 KB · Views: 558
Engineering news on Phys.org
0 feet and -187 feet are indistinguishable on the scale of the graph, just use 0.

Likes MattH150197
mfb said:
0 feet and -187 feet are indistinguishable on the scale of the graph, just use 0.
Ah okay i had thought that might be the case but wasnt sure. Thanks very much!

Just for info.. You might care to check out the Professional Pilots forum

http://www.pprune.org

I expect they have a section where tech questions can be asked.

1. How do I interpret the data on the performance graph?

The performance graph shows the relationship between two or more variables, such as time and speed. The data points on the graph represent the values for each variable at a specific time. The line connecting the data points shows the trend or pattern of the data. By analyzing the graph, you can determine how the variables are related and how they change over time.

2. What do the axes on the performance graph represent?

The horizontal axis, also known as the x-axis, typically represents the independent variable, which is the variable that is controlled or manipulated by the experimenter. The vertical axis, or y-axis, represents the dependent variable, which is the variable that is affected by the independent variable. The units of measurement for each axis are also labeled on the graph.

3. How do I determine the accuracy of the data on the performance graph?

The accuracy of the data on the performance graph can be determined by looking at the scale of each axis and the precision of the data points. The scale should be appropriate for the range of values being measured, and the data points should be evenly spaced and clearly labeled. Additionally, you can compare the data on the graph to the expected or theoretical values to determine if they are accurate.

4. Can I use the performance graph to make predictions?

Yes, the performance graph can be used to make predictions about future data points based on the trend or pattern shown by the data. This is known as extrapolation. However, it is important to note that extrapolation can be unreliable and should be used with caution. It is best to only make predictions within the range of data that has been collected and verified.

5. How can I improve my understanding of the data using the performance graph?

To improve your understanding of the data on the performance graph, you can analyze the trend or pattern of the data, look for any outliers or anomalies, and compare the data to other sources or experiments. You can also use the graph to identify any relationships or correlations between variables, which can provide insight into the phenomenon being studied. Additionally, you can use the graph to identify any areas where more data may be needed for a better understanding of the results.