1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do magnets pull things if magnetic forces are incapable of doing work?

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1
    When a magnet pulls a paperclip, what exactly is doing work on the paperclip? It cannot be a magnetic force can it? I thought it was a very strong statement that I read in my intro physics book and even Griffiths(pg. 207) that magnetic forces do no work. So what is responsible for accelerating a paperclip towards a magnet?

Is it something related to the changing magnetic flux? Is there an electric field somewhere doing the work?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2012 #2
  4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    I think the guy on the second part of the thread who's touching on spin was getting closer to the point of my question. I still don't know what's responsible for the work we see when a paperclip gets pulled in by a magnet.

5. Apr 22, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

With magnetic fields, you always have charges which move in some way (spin is similar to a movement in that respect). Moving charges in magnetic fields are equivalent to stationary charges in a field which has an electric component.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook