How do Toroids work, and What are they used for?

1. How do Toroids (inductors) work, and What are they used for (in electronics and/or other physics applications)?

Thanks

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Chegg
    They're used for lots of things: washers, bangles, rings on fingers; it's just a shape, like 'square' is.

4. Dadface

Dadface 2,080
    Gold Member

Are you thinking of toroidal magnets?

5. Sorry for not specifying, but I meant Toroids as in the electricity and magnetism part of physics, such as an inductor or a "round solenoid."

Thanks

6. A toroidal ferrite core with wire wound on it is called a choke in EE.
    Try wikipedia (and an old PC power supply); do you understand induction?

7. I understand induction, but I can't think of any real-life applications of when a toroid would be useful.

8. Hmm, well, choke coils are fairly ubiquitous, see what a choke does and see if it looks useful.

9. mgb_phys

mgb_phys 8,952
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An inductor blocks transmission of a fast changing signal such as external interference on a wire.
    They are normally only called chokes when they are inductors in circuit.

10. It depends on the application, and frequency domain where the material can be powdered iron, or wound soft steel tape, or ferrite.

In small, bead form, on a wire, torroids block noise. Toroidal cores are even used in 60Hz transformers where a low profile is a requirement. Current transformers, antenna balums, and line filters are some uses. Way back when, square BH core material toroids were used to store data bits (core memory).

Packaged with a couple capacitors, or used discretely, they are commonly used as line filters.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?