How Do You Calculate Frequency from Wave Loops and Travel Time?

In summary, to find the frequency of the source in this scenario, we need to calculate the period by dividing the given time by the number of complete cycles, which is 3. Then, we can use the equation f=1/T to find the frequency. Alternatively, we can use the equation f=1/(t/n), where t is the given time and n is the number of complete waves. To find the velocity, we need to use the equation v=fλ, where λ is the wavelength and f is the frequency, which can be found using the above methods.
ElegantSir
A string has one end tied to a wave generator, and the other tied to a fixed position,. It takes the wave 0.10 seconds to travel 4.5m. Withing the same distance there are 3 complete loops. Find the frequency of the source.

Pretty generic question. But I keep getting stuck at trying to find the number of cycles to find the frequency. I've found the wavelength, which is 3 meters. I made an educated guess at saying there were 1.5 cycles seeing as the equation said there were 3 complete loops. If I am wrong I would appreciate any help possible. Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
The word 'loop' is unhelpful. Is that what the question said?

My guess is that it means three complete full waveforms, ie three consecutive wavelengths of a sinusoidal shape. If that's correct then the wavelength is one third of the distance. Now you have the wave speed and the wavelength so you can use the usual equation to calculate the frequency.

The equation did in fact use the word "loop." I am not too sure I understand where you are going with this though. The known factors thus far are:
t = 0.10 seconds
d = 4.5m
f = ?

I calculated the wavelength using this equation. λ / 2 = # of loops
3λ / 2 = 4.5
1.5λ = 4.5
λ = 4.5 / 1.5
λ = 3 meters Therefore wouldn't the wavelength equal 3 meters?

And even then to find the frequency I would have to use v = fλ where I only know the wavelength and nothing more.

Last edited:
To calculate the frequency from the given data, this simple formula should do it:

[itex]f=\frac{n}{t}[/itex]

where :
n = the number of (complete) waves that propagated [wave(s)]
t = the time period [second(s)]

The number of waves itself isn't clear since the meaning of the word 'loop' is vague. Anyway, try plugging in the values into that formula and you should get the value of the frequency.

ElegantSir said:
3λ / 2 = 4.5
1.5λ = 4.5
λ = 4.5 / 1.5
λ = 3 meters Therefore wouldn't the wavelength equal 3 meters?

And even then to find the frequency I would have to use v = fλ where I only know the wavelength and nothing more.

It is also given that
It takes the wave 0.10 seconds to travel 4.5m.

ElegantSir said:
Where did you get that equation? If it came from your lecturer then it implies that by 'loop' she means half of a full waveform. It is non-standard terminology so solution of the problem depends entirely on what she means by that word. If she does mean half a waveform then indeed the wavelength will be the 3m that you guessed.
Regarding the value of v, look at ehild's post.

This is how I got taught to find V, f & λ here in Australia, hopefully by giving you a slight different view on this you can wrap your head around it more...

We don't need the wavelength to find the frequency here, we need to figure out the period (time it takes the wave to make one complete CYCLE) since there are 3 complete cycles, and it took 0.10 seconds for 3 of them to form, 1 cycle must have taken 0.10 / 3 = 0.0333333 seconds. That is the period, T, and frequency is = 1/T , 1/0.0333 = 30Hz. To do it in one equation you could just do 1 / (0.10/3) = 30Hz.

If you were to get the velocity you would need frequency and wavelength,λ, as V=fλ. When there were 3 complete loops, there were 3 complete wave forms as i state above (when it forms a trough and a crest and goes back to the middle line) so there are 3 troughs and crests, the wavelength is the length between those... so it must be 1/3 of the distance, 4.5m / 3 = 1.5. therefore λ= 1.5m
V= f x λ
V= 30 x 1.5
V= 45 m/s

Related to How Do You Calculate Frequency from Wave Loops and Travel Time?

What is wave interference?

Wave interference is a phenomenon in which two or more waves interact with each other when they meet. This interaction can result in the amplification or cancellation of the waves, depending on their amplitudes and phase differences.

What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude meet and combine, resulting in a wave with a larger amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and opposite amplitudes meet and cancel each other out, resulting in a wave with a smaller amplitude or complete cancellation.

How is wave interference used in everyday life?

Wave interference is used in many everyday devices and technologies, such as radio and television signals, sound systems, and medical imaging techniques like MRI and ultrasound. It is also an important concept in understanding the properties of light and how it behaves in different mediums.

Can wave interference be seen?

Yes, wave interference can be seen in certain situations. One example is when two water waves meet in a pond and form a larger wave (constructive interference) or cancel each other out (destructive interference). Additionally, some optical instruments like diffraction gratings can show visible patterns of interference when light passes through them.

What is the mathematical equation for calculating the interference pattern of two waves?

The mathematical equation for calculating the interference pattern of two waves is given by I = I1 + I2 + 2√I1I2cos(φ), where I is the intensity of the resulting wave, I1 and I2 are the intensities of the individual waves, and φ is the phase difference between the two waves. This equation is known as the superposition principle.