How Do You Calculate T2 in a System of Three Blocks on a Frictionless Surface?

• Thread starter jeremy04
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves three blocks connected by massless strings on a frictionless surface with masses of 1.80kg, 2.30kg, and 3.70kg. The system is accelerating to the right due to a force acting on M3. Given that T1 is 3.30 N, the task is to calculate T2 using the equation F=ma. The solution involves finding the acceleration for T1, which is 1.83 m/s^2, and then using the sum of the masses of M1 and M2 to calculate the force. It is assumed that all three blocks have the same acceleration.
jeremy04

Homework Statement

Three blocks on a frictionless surface are connected by massless strings, with
M1 = 1.80 kg,
M2 = 2.30 kg, and
M3 = 3.70 kg.
Due to the force F acting on M3, as shown, the system accelerates to the right.
Given that T1 is 3.30 N, calculate T2

attachment.php?attachmentid=10884&stc=1&d=1189701552.gif

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 1.83 m/s^2 for T1's acceleration...

The only thing is, how do I know that's the same accleration for all of em..

or is that implied?

Then I thought to add masses of M1 and M2, and use the accerlation and get the force??

oh yeah forgot to say "Hi I'm new to the forum!"

Attachments

• prob70_1001hPlane3mz.gif
    prob70_1001hPlane3mz.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind I got it :) I like this forum its nice!

Hello and welcome to the forum! I would like to provide a response to your question.

First of all, great job on attempting to solve the problem and thinking about the relevant equations! It's always important to start by identifying the given information and determining what is being asked for in the question.

In this case, we are given the masses of three blocks and the force acting on one of them. We are also told that the system accelerates to the right, which implies that all the blocks are accelerating with the same acceleration. This is because the blocks are connected by massless strings, which means they are all moving together as one system. Therefore, the acceleration of one block is the same as the acceleration of the entire system.

Now, to solve for T2, we can use the equation F=ma. We know the force acting on M3 and we can calculate the acceleration of the system using the mass of all three blocks. Once we have the acceleration, we can use it to calculate the tension in the strings T1 and T2 using the equation T=ma.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work and keep practicing your problem-solving skills.

Related to How Do You Calculate T2 in a System of Three Blocks on a Frictionless Surface?

1. What is tension/force?

Tension/force is a physical quantity that describes the pulling or pushing force that is applied to an object.

2. How is tension/force measured?

Tension/force is measured in units of newtons (N) in the metric system and pounds (lbs) in the imperial system.

3. What factors affect tension/force?

Tension/force is affected by the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and any other external forces acting on the object.

4. How is tension/force related to motion?

Tension/force can either cause or resist motion, depending on the direction in which it is applied and the other forces acting on the object.

5. What are some real-world examples of tension/force?

Some common examples of tension/force include pulling a rope, pushing a car, lifting weights, and throwing a ball.