How Do You Calculate the Oscillation Frequency of a Compressed Rubber Pad?

In summary, the conversation discusses the estimation of the oscillation frequency of a heavy object placed on a rubber pad used as a shock absorber. The solution involves calculating the spring constant of the rubber pad and using it to determine the angular frequency. The final answer is given in radians per second, with the units of meters, seconds, and centimeters taken into consideration.
Barrowlands
So, I'm trying to brush up on my undergrad physics, and I'm sure this is a bone-headed question, so please bear with me.

Homework Statement

A heavy object, when placed on a rubber pad that is to be used as a shock absorber, compresses the pad by 1cm. If the object is given a vertical tap, it will oscillate. Ignoring the damping, estimate the oscillation frequency. [The book I'm using actually gives the solution]

Homework Equations

x(t)=A*sin(sqrt(k/m)t+[itex]\phi[/itex])
ω=sqrt(k/m)
F=k|l-l0|

The Attempt at a Solution

We'll call x0 the equilibrium displacement, x0=1cm
k=spring constant of rubber
so
k(l-l0)=k*x0=mg (equilibrium)
gives us
k=(mg)/(x0)
then
ω=sqrt(k/m)
which eventually solves to
ω=sqrt(g/x0)

The book gives an answer of sqrt(980) rad/s. My question is given the units from ω=sqrt(g/x0) (meters, seconds, centimeters), how do they arrive at radians?

Physics news on Phys.org
X0 is 0.01 m. So the unit of sqrt(g/x0) is 1/s.
ω is the angular frequency, it is measured in radians/second, but radian is dimensionless. ω=2πf (f=frequency).

ehild

Makes sense. I actually just beefed the algebra cancelling my units. Thanks!

Related to How Do You Calculate the Oscillation Frequency of a Compressed Rubber Pad?

What is an ideal spring?

An ideal spring is a theoretical model of a spring that follows Hooke's law, which states that the force needed to stretch or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. In other words, an ideal spring will return to its original length when the force is removed and will exhibit a linear relationship between force and displacement.

What units are used to measure an ideal spring?

The units used to measure an ideal spring depend on the specific property being measured. The force applied to the spring is typically measured in Newtons (N), while the displacement is measured in meters (m). The spring constant, a measure of the stiffness of the spring, is measured in units of N/m.

How does the spring constant affect the behavior of an ideal spring?

The spring constant, denoted by the variable k, determines the stiffness of an ideal spring. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and requires more force to be stretched or compressed. Conversely, a lower spring constant indicates a less stiff spring that requires less force for the same displacement.

Can an ideal spring be compressed or stretched indefinitely?

No, an ideal spring cannot be compressed or stretched indefinitely. At a certain point, the spring will reach its elastic limit and will not return to its original length when the force is removed. If the force is increased beyond this point, the spring will permanently deform or break.

How is an ideal spring different from a real spring?

An ideal spring is a theoretical model that does not account for factors such as mass, friction, and air resistance. In reality, all springs have some mass and are subject to external forces that can affect their behavior. Real springs also have a limit to their elastic range and can undergo permanent deformation or break if stretched or compressed too far.