How Do You Calculate the Rate Constant for a First Order Reaction?

• Thread starter helpimstuck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, a reaction equation is a representation of a chemical reaction that shows the transformation of reactants into products. To balance a reaction equation, the number of atoms on both sides must be equal by adjusting coefficients. Balancing is important to follow the law of conservation of mass. There are different types of reaction equations, such as synthesis and decomposition, based on how substances combine. A reaction equation can be used to predict the products of a chemical reaction by understanding the type and properties of the reactants.
helpimstuck
I have a first order reaction that after 35 minutes 33.8% of the reactant remains, i am trying to find out the rate constant k from these two figures but i am rubbish at physical chemisty can anyone point me in the wright direction please?

Physics news on Phys.org
use the half life equation...

First of all, don't worry, physical chemistry can be challenging for many people. Let's break down the information we have and use the first order reaction equation to find the rate constant.

We know that the reaction is first order, which means the rate of the reaction is directly proportional to the concentration of the reactant. This can be expressed as:

Rate = k[A]

Where k is the rate constant and [A] is the concentration of the reactant.

We also know that after 35 minutes, 33.8% of the reactant remains. This means that 66.2% of the reactant has been consumed, or in other words, the concentration has decreased by a factor of 0.662.

Now, we can plug in these values into the first order reaction equation:

Rate = k[A]
0.662[A0] = k[A0]

Where [A0] is the initial concentration of the reactant.

We can simplify this equation to:

0.662 = e^(-kt)

Where t is the time in minutes.

To solve for k, we can take the natural logarithm of both sides:

ln(0.662) = -kt
k = -ln(0.662) / t

Substituting the given time of 35 minutes, we get:

k = -ln(0.662) / 35 minutes = 0.0054 minutes^-1

So the rate constant for this first order reaction is 0.0054 minutes^-1. I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Remember, practice makes perfect, so keep working on those physical chemistry problems!

Related to How Do You Calculate the Rate Constant for a First Order Reaction?

1. What is a reaction equation?

A reaction equation is a representation of a chemical reaction, in which the reactants on the left side of the equation are transformed into products on the right side. It shows the chemical formulas of the substances involved, as well as the ratio in which they combine.

2. How do I balance a reaction equation?

To balance a reaction equation, you need to make sure that the number of atoms on both sides of the equation are equal. This can be done by adjusting the coefficients (numbers in front of the chemical formulas) until the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides.

3. What is the purpose of balancing a reaction equation?

Balancing a reaction equation is important because it follows the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction. By balancing the equation, we ensure that the number of atoms of each element remains the same before and after the reaction.

4. What are the different types of reaction equations?

There are several types of reaction equations, including synthesis, decomposition, single displacement, double displacement, combustion, and acid-base reactions. These types are based on the different ways in which substances can combine and react with each other.

5. How can I use a reaction equation to predict the products of a chemical reaction?

A balanced reaction equation can provide valuable information about the substances involved in a chemical reaction. By understanding the type of reaction and the chemical properties of the reactants, we can use the equation to predict the products that will be formed in the reaction.