Consumption rate of a reactant

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter guiromero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the user has a doubt about the rate of reaction and tries to find the answer using the reaction scheme, but gets an incorrect result.
guiromero
Homework Statement
Butadiene can be react with itself to form a dimer molecule. The reaction is second order in butadiene. The value of the rate constant is 7.7 x 10-3 M-1 s-1.

What is the initial rate consumption of butadiene in a reactor filled with butadiene to a concentration of 3.091 M? Express your answer in M/s.
Relevant Equations
r = k*C^2
Hello,

I have a doubt in an exercise about rate of reaction. The statement is quoted above and the reaction scheme is the following:
Esquema reação butadieno.png

As the reaction is second order, I tried to apply the formula r = k*C^2.

Where r = rate of reaction
k = rate constant
C = concentration

So, I got:
r = (7.7e-3)*(3,091)^2 = 0,073 M

However, this not correct. I know it because when I click the "Send answer" button, it says "incorrect". Furthermore, the "Show answer" button doesn't display the answer.

Could anyone give some help?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
guiromero said:
So, I got:
Is this result properly rounded? (Also, careful with the units.)

I tried to round from 0.07 to 0.075 and it didn't work.
The units are ok, as k[M^-1*s^-1] * C^2[M^2] = r[M * s^-1]

guiromero said:
I tried to round from 0.07 to 0.075 and it didn't work.
In my calculator,
$$
7.7 \times 10^{-3} (3.091)^2 = 0.073567963
$$
which, rounding to two significant figures, should give 0.074. You might try also 0.0736 or 0.07357 in case the preprogrammed solution was entered with an incorrect number of significant figures.

guiromero said:
The units are ok, as k[M^-1*s^-1] * C^2[M^2] = r[M * s^-1]
It's just that you wrote the units as M instead of M/s in the OP.

DrClaude said:
In my calculator,
$$
7.7 \times 10^{-3} (3.091)^2 = 0.073567963
$$
which, rounding to two significant figures, should give 0.074. You might try also 0.0736 or 0.07357 in case the preprogrammed solution was entered with an incorrect number of significant figures.It's just that you wrote the units as M instead of M/s in the OP.
I tried the values that you mentioned but it didn't work.
I think what you trying to say is the units of rate. I put M*s^-1 for M/s. I don't know if this is what you mean.

guiromero said:
So, I got:
You wrote M instead of M s-1.

Likes berkeman
DrClaude said:
You wrote M instead of M s-1.
Oh yes, thanks.

1. What is the consumption rate of a reactant?

The consumption rate of a reactant refers to the rate at which a reactant is used up during a chemical reaction. It is typically measured in units of moles per unit time.

2. How is the consumption rate of a reactant determined?

The consumption rate of a reactant can be determined by measuring the change in concentration of the reactant over time. This can be done by taking multiple samples at different time intervals and analyzing them using techniques such as spectrophotometry or titration.

3. What factors can affect the consumption rate of a reactant?

The consumption rate of a reactant can be affected by various factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants and products, presence of a catalyst, and the nature of the reaction (e.g. exothermic or endothermic).

4. How does the consumption rate of a reactant relate to the reaction rate?

The consumption rate of a reactant is directly proportional to the reaction rate. This means that as the consumption rate of a reactant increases, the reaction rate also increases. The consumption rate of a reactant is often used as a measure of the reaction rate.

5. Can the consumption rate of a reactant be changed?

Yes, the consumption rate of a reactant can be changed by altering the conditions of the reaction. For example, increasing the temperature or concentration of reactants can increase the consumption rate, while the presence of a catalyst can decrease the consumption rate.