How Do You Calculate the Upward Force on a Uniform Rope Being Lifted?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
ajmCane22
Messages
33
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A long, uniform rope with a mass of 0.100 kg per meter lies on the ground. You grab one end of the rope and lift it at the constant rate of 1.20 m/s.


Homework Equations


Center of mass?
[SIGMA]mx/M


The Attempt at a Solution


I honestly have no idea where to even begin. There is no example like this in the book, and my professor didn't give any example like this. I thought maybe I would need to (m1x1 + m2x2 + ...)/(m1 + m2 + ...), but then the upward force part is really confusing me.

Am I even on the right track? Help is greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to find the force needed to do that?
Well, P = W/t = (Fd)/t = Fv
Is probably a useful equation but I don't know what the question is?
 
I forgot the question part, sorry!

"Calculate the upward force you must exert at the moment when the top end of the rope is 0.560 m above the ground."
 
ajmCane22 said:
I forgot the question part, sorry!

"Calculate the upward force you must exert at the moment when the top end of the rope is 0.560 m above the ground."
Draw a free body diagram of the 0.560 m rope and identify the forces acting on it, both known and unknown, and solve for the unknown upward force using Newton's law for objects moving at constant speed.