How Do You Calculate the Voltage at Node C in an Op Amp Circuit?

• Thread starter lam58
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary: A perfect opamp has infinite input impedance. This means its inputs don't draw any current at all. And this is why I4 = I5. So you have all information needed to solve this problem.
lam58
Hello, I'm stuck on this question, it asks to find the voltage at node c (on the circuit below) then use this value to work out other values of the op amp circuit.

I tried using kirchhoffs laws but that didn't work, then I used thevenins. Basically I took out the 6k and 8k resistors and calculated the voltage difference between the two 3k resistors and got 10.5V. Then I took away the two 3k resistors and put back the 8k and 6k then using the 10.5v found the voltage drop across the 6k resistor i.e. (6k x 10.5v)/(6k + 9k) and got 4.5v. I then took 4.5 from 10.5 and got 6 volts. However I don't have answers to this question so I'm unsure if I've got the right answer and/or my method is correct, which I doubt.

Any help on how to approach this question would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• crt 1.jpg
    crt 1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org
The correct answer is 6V. Why you don't use nodal analysis? Also are you aware that thanks to negative feedback action the voltage at point B must be equal the voltage at point A? If so VA = 0V so the VB also must be equal to 0V.

Last edited:
Jony130 said:
The correct answer is 6V. Why you don't use nodal analysis? Also are you aware that thanks to negative feedback action the voltage at point B must be equal the voltage at point A? If so VA = 0V so the VB also must be equal to 0V.

Mainly because I'm an idiot.

lam58 said:
Mainly because I'm an idiot.
Don't be so harsh on yourself, new year is coming.

I think that you should try again but this time use KCL.

For this diagram

attachment.php?attachmentid=65257&stc=1&d=1388503829.jpg

We can write for node C the KCL

I1 = I2 + I3 + I4 and additional

I1 = (21V - Vc)/3K

I2 = Vc/6K

I3 = (Vc - Vd)/8K

I4 = ??

Next do the same thing for B node and next instead VB put VB = 0V and solve this simultaneous equations.

Attachments

• crt 1.jpg
    crt 1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 454
Jony130 said:
Don't be so harsh on yourself, new year is coming.

I think that you should try again but this time use KCL.

For this diagram

attachment.php?attachmentid=65257&stc=1&d=1388503829.jpg

We can write for node C the KCL

I1 = I2 + I3 + I4 and additional

I1 = (21V - Vc)/3K

I2 = Vc/6K

I3 = (Vc - Vd)/8K

I4 = ??

Next do the same thing for B node and next instead VB put VB = 0V and solve this simultaneous equations.

I'm missing something here I'm putting I4 as (Vc-Vb)/3k

and for node B

(Vc-Vb)/3k = (Vb-Vd)/5k.

But this doesn't seem to be right.

lam58 said:
I'm missing something here I'm putting I4 as (Vc-Vb)/3k
Very good

and for node B

(Vc-Vb)/3k = (Vb-Vd)/5k.

But this doesn't seem to be right.
Why? I don't see any mistake. The ideal opamp has infinite input impedance. That means its inputs don't draw any current at all. And this is why I4 = I5
So you have all information needed to solve this problem.

Likes 1 person

Related to How Do You Calculate the Voltage at Node C in an Op Amp Circuit?

1. What is the formula for finding the voltage at node c?

The formula for finding the voltage at node c is Vc = Vp - Vn, where Vp and Vn are the voltages at the positive and negative terminals of the node respectively.

2. How do I determine the polarity of the voltage at node c?

The polarity of the voltage at node c can be determined by considering the direction of the current flow and the orientation of the voltage source. If the current flows from the positive terminal to the negative terminal of the voltage source, the voltage at node c will have the same polarity as the voltage source. If the current flows in the opposite direction, the polarity of the voltage at node c will be reversed.

3. Can I use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to find the voltage at node c?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Voltage Law can be used to find the voltage at node c. This law states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. By applying this law to the loop containing node c, the voltage at node c can be determined.

4. How does the resistance of components in the circuit affect the voltage at node c?

The resistance of components in the circuit can affect the voltage at node c by creating a voltage drop. As current flows through a resistor, it encounters resistance which causes a decrease in voltage. This decrease in voltage can be calculated using Ohm's Law (V = IR), and must be taken into account when finding the voltage at node c.

5. Are there any tools or software that can help me find the voltage at node c?

Yes, there are various circuit analysis tools and software that can assist in finding the voltage at node c. These include circuit simulators, such as SPICE, and online calculators that use relevant equations and laws to calculate the voltage at a specific node in a circuit.