How do you find out the exponent if you can't use logs?

• Thread starter priceofcarrot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponent
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of logs to solve equations involving exponents. The first equation given is 2^(2x+1) = 1/32, which simplifies to 2^(2x+1) = 2^(-5). The question is raised as to how one would know that -5 is the answer. The same concept applies to the second equation, 3^(x-1) = 27, which simplifies to 3^(x-1) = 3^3. The conversation then discusses the importance of memorizing powers of small numbers and noticing patterns in order to solve these types of equations without using logs. It is also mentioned that factoring numbers into their prime factors
priceofcarrot

There isn't a problem here, it's an example they gave, but I don't get how you can get the answer without using logs.

2^(2x+1) = 1/32
2^(2x+1) = 2^(-5)

How do they know that it's -5?

Same thing for:

3^(x-1) = 27
3^(x-1) = 3^3

Is it just trial and error? I've tried a bunch of different methods but none have worked.

Physics news on Phys.org
priceofcarrot said:
There isn't a problem here, it's an example they gave, but I don't get how you can get the answer without using logs.

2^(2x+1) = 1/32
2^(2x+1) = 2^(-5)

How do they know that it's -5?
Because 32 = 25, that's how. So 1/32 = 1/(25) = 2-5.
priceofcarrot said:
Same thing for:

3^(x-1) = 27
3^(x-1) = 3^3
You know that 32 = 9, right, so 33 = 27. That's all it is.
priceofcarrot said:
Is it just trial and error? I've tried a bunch of different methods but none have worked.
No, it's not trial and error. It's useful to know a few powers of small numbers.

2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 correspond to exponents on 2 of 1, 2, 3, ..., 10

3, 9, 27, 81, 243 correspond to exponents on 3 of 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5

and so on.

Is there any simple formula I can use to find that 32 = 2^5? Or similar things, or is it just having an idea which numbers as the exponent would produce which numbers?

Can I just knowing 32 = 2^x find out what x is with a formula?

priceofcarrot said:
Is there any simple formula I can use to find that 32 = 2^5? Or similar things, or is it just having an idea which numbers as the exponent would produce which numbers?

Just memorize some of the powers, as Mark44 said. It really isn't much different than memorizing addition and multiplication facts (except that the numbers are bigger, of course).

Or you might notice that 32 = 2 * 16 = 2 * 2 * 8 = 2 * 2 * 2 * 4 = 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 25.

Do you know how to factor a number into its prime factors?

priceofcarrot said:

Sure. You start out with 1, and then multiply it by 2 to get 2. Then you multiply the 2 by 2 to get 4. Then you multiply the 4 by 2 to get eight. Then you multiply the 8 by 2 to get 16. Then you multiply the 16 by 2 to get 32. How many multiplications did you do all together to get 32?

1. What is an exponent?

An exponent is a number that represents how many times a base number is multiplied by itself. It is written as a superscript to the right of the base number, such as 23 where 2 is the base and 3 is the exponent.

2. Why can't logs be used to find the exponent?

Logs are used to find the exponent when the base and the result are known. However, if the base and the result are not known, logs cannot be used to find the exponent. In this case, alternative methods such as trial and error or using a calculator with an exponent function can be used.

3. What is trial and error?

Trial and error is a method of finding the exponent by repeatedly guessing different values until the correct one is found. This method can be time-consuming and may not always result in an accurate answer, but it can be useful when other methods are not available.

4. Can a calculator be used to find the exponent?

Yes, most scientific calculators have an exponent function that can be used to find the exponent. This function is usually denoted by the symbol "^" or "xy". By inputting the base and the result, the calculator can provide the correct exponent value.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the exponent?

Apart from trial and error and using a calculator, there are other mathematical techniques that can be used to find the exponent, such as the Newton-Raphson method or the bisection method. However, these methods may require a more advanced understanding of mathematics and are not commonly used for finding exponents.