How do you find the electric potential from force?

In summary: Now, \vec{F}=\gamma\,\frac{q_{1}q_{1}}{r^4} \hat{r} so \displaystyle V(r)=-\int\gamma\,Qr^{-4}\hat{r}\cdot d\vec{r}
Mitocarta

Homework Statement

Suppose Coulomb's force is actually

F= (y)(q1q2)(r hat)/(r^4)

with y being a constant. Find the electric potential function V(x,y) for a charge Q located at the point x=a, y=b

Homework Equations

Fq=E

V=integral (E)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very confused by this problem and do not know if my solution is correct:

1)

find electric field using fq=E,

E=(y)(q1)(r hat) / (r^4)

2)

Integrate to find V. Somehow change q1 to Q

V= integral (E dot Dr)
V= Qy integral (1/r^4)

v= -Qy/r^3,

where r = sqrt((x-A)^3 + (y-B)^2)

giving

V (x,y) = - yQ / 3 ((x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2))^(3/2)) + 0Is this correct? How does q1 change into Q?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mitocarta said:

Homework Statement

Suppose Coulomb's force is actually

F= (y)(q1q2)(r hat)/(r^4)

with y being a constant. Find the electric potential function V(x,y) for a charge Q located at the point x=a, y=b

Homework Equations

Fq=E

V=integral (E)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very confused by this problem and do not know if my solution is correct:

1) find electric field using fq=E,

E=(y)(q1)(r hat) / (r^4)

2) Integrate to find V. Somehow change q1 to Q

V= integral (E dot Dr)
V= Qy integral (1/r^4)

v= -Qy/r^3,

where r = sqrt((x-A)^3 + (y-B)^2)

giving

V (x,y) = - yQ / 3 ((x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2))^(3/2)) + 0

Is this correct? How does q1 change into Q?
Not correct.

Are you sure that's y, and not γ (gamma) ? Whatever it is, it's a constant.

I'm assuming that [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \vec{F}=\gamma\,\frac{q_{1}q_{1}}{r^4} \hat{r}\ \ [/itex] gives the force exerted on q2 by q1 .

Then what you for the E field due to q1 makes sense. To find the E field due to Q, simply replace q1 with Q .To get the potential, simply integrate.

[itex]\displaystyle V(r)=-\int \vec{E}(r)\cdot d\vec{r}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =-\int\gamma\,Qr^{-4}\hat{r}\cdot d\vec{r}[/itex]​

Thank you.

I know that dr = dr ir + dθ ir and that dr = dx ix + dy iy.

How do I know in which situation to use each?

Mitocarta said:
Thank you.

I know that dr = dr ir + dθ ir and that dr = dx ix + dy iy.

How do I know in which situation to use each?
Well, [itex]\hat{r}\ \text{ is parallel to }\ d\vec{r}\ \ [/itex] so that [itex]\hat{r}\cdot d\vec{r}=dr\ .[/itex]

That results in [itex]\displaystyle \int\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{r}=\int E\,dr\ .[/itex]

To find the electric potential from force, we can use the definition of electric potential as the work done per unit charge to bring a test charge from infinity to a point in an electric field. Mathematically, it can be written as V = W/q, where V is the electric potential, W is the work done, and q is the test charge.

In this case, the force is given by F = (y)(q1q2)(r hat)/(r^4), where y is a constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between them. To find the electric potential caused by a charge Q located at the point (a,b), we need to find the work done by this force to bring a test charge from infinity to the point (a,b).

The work done can be calculated by integrating the force over the distance r, which gives us W = integral (F dot dr) = integral [(y)(q1q2)(r hat)/(r^4) dot dr]. We can simplify this by noting that the direction of the force and the displacement dr are in the same direction, so we can write the dot product as F dr = F dr cosθ, where θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

Since the force is radial, we can write cosθ as cosθ = r/r = 1, and the integral becomes W = integral [(y)(q1q2)(r hat)/(r^4) dr] = integral [(y)(q1q2)/(r^3) dr]. This integral can be evaluated to give W = - (y)(q1q2)/(2r^2) + C, where C is a constant of integration.

Now, using the definition of electric potential, we can write V = W/q = - (y)(q1q2)/(2r^2q) + C/q. Since we are interested in the potential caused by a charge Q at (a,b), we can set q1 = Q and r = √[(x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2]. This gives us V(x,y) = - (y)(Qq2)/(2[(x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2]) + C/q.

We can determine the constant C by noting that at infinity, the potential should be zero, so we can write V(infinity) = 0 = - (y)(

1. How is electric potential related to force?

The electric potential is related to force through the equation V = U/q, where V is the electric potential, U is the potential energy, and q is the charge. This equation shows that electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field.

2. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field, while electric potential energy is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is a property of the electric field itself, while electric potential energy is a property of the charged particle within the electric field.

3. How do you calculate the electric potential from a known force?

To calculate the electric potential from a known force, you can use the equation V = U/q, where V is the electric potential, U is the potential energy, and q is the charge. First, calculate the potential energy using the equation U = Fd, where F is the force and d is the distance. Then, divide the potential energy by the charge to find the electric potential at that point in the electric field.

4. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is the volt (V). It is defined as the potential difference between two points in an electric field where one joule of work is required to move one coulomb of charge from one point to the other.

5. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This indicates that the potential energy of a charged particle is decreasing as it moves from a point of higher potential to a point of lower potential in an electric field. A negative electric potential can also indicate that the electric field is doing work on the charged particle, causing it to gain kinetic energy.