How do you find the resistance of a coil

In summary, a coil is being discussed as an immersion heater for boiling water. The coil will operate at a voltage of V and will heat a volume of v water by T degrees C in t seconds. The specific heat capacity of water is 4190 and the density is 1000. The conversation also mentions finding the resistance of a temperature-independent coil using the formula R=V/I, but the value of I is not given. The conversation then suggests thinking in terms of energy and how it is converted by the coil to heat the water.
Tcat
A coil is to be used as an immersion heater for boiling water. The coil is to operate at a voltage of V and is to heat an amount of water with a volume of v by T degrees C in a time interval of t seconds.
Use 4190 for the specific heat capacity of water and 1000 for the density of water. How do you find the resistance of a coil that is temperature independent? (Given voltage, volume, and time)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We'll help, but only after you show how you attempted the problem. That is stated in those guidelines that you agreed to, but evidently did not read.

R=V/I, but I is not given, so does "I" have something to do with time?

Think in energy terms. Where it comes from and where it is going.

The voltage=Energy/Length

How else the energy relate?

Sorry, I missed your responses. If you are still interested: The electric work done by the current flowing through the coil is converted by it to heat, that is what a resistor or coil does, it converts electric energy to heat - very useful for making coffee or having a bath. This heat energy is then transferred to the water, which heats the water up. The potential difference over an electric component tells us how much electric work is done in the component for each coulomb of electric charge that flows through it.

Related to How do you find the resistance of a coil

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of an object's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is measured in units called ohms (Ω).

2. How is resistance calculated?

Resistance is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). Therefore, R = V/I.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a coil?

The resistance of a coil is affected by its length, thickness (cross-sectional area), and the material it is made of. A longer coil will have higher resistance, while a thicker coil and a coil made of a material with high resistivity will have a lower resistance.

4. How do you measure the resistance of a coil?

The resistance of a coil can be measured using a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the resistance (Ω) setting and touch the probes to each end of the coil. The multimeter will display the resistance of the coil.

5. Can the resistance of a coil change?

Yes, the resistance of a coil can change depending on the temperature, material, and physical properties of the coil. For example, heating a coil will increase its resistance, while using a different material or changing the dimensions of the coil can also alter its resistance.