Graph Reciprocal of Time vs Concentration in Chemistry

• Thread starter HelloMotto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, for a chemistry experiment, you are required to plot the reciprocal of time (in seconds) against the concentration of a solution. This should be done using three different plots, each with a different concentration and time. The graph should show a clear contrast from a regular concentration vs time graph, as the reciprocal plot changes increasing functions to decreasing functions.
HelloMotto
In chemistry I am suppose to graph
reciprocal of time ( seconds ) Vs concentration of a solution.

Im suppose to plot 3 different plots, which i have obtained from the lab we did. So i have 3 different concentration each with different time.

its not reciprocal of time vs reciprocal of concentration, it has to be reciprocal of time vs Concentration.

I know how to find a reciprocal of time, but when i reciprocate the time, what do i do with concetration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing!

Just plot 1/t against concentration. What is the problem?

so the graph shouldn't look any different from regular time vs concentration?

The graph should look very different from a normal concentration v time graph. For one, in the reciprocal plot, high time values are converted to low 1/t values and vice versa. This has the effect of changing increasing functions into decreasing functions. For example, see the attached plots. The concentration v time graph is shown in the middle and it is plotting the y column against the x column on the table. It is an increasing function. In contrast, by plotting the y column against the 1/x column, you obtain the graph on the right, which shows a decreasing function.

Attachments

• Presentation1.png
    Presentation1.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 580

1. What is the purpose of graphing reciprocal of time vs concentration in chemistry?

The purpose of graphing the reciprocal of time vs concentration in chemistry is to determine the rate constant of a chemical reaction. The rate constant is a measure of how quickly a reaction occurs and is represented by the slope of the graph.

2. How is the graph of reciprocal of time vs concentration obtained?

The graph of reciprocal of time vs concentration is obtained by measuring the concentration of a reactant at different time intervals during a chemical reaction. The inverse of each concentration value is then plotted on the y-axis, while the time intervals are plotted on the x-axis.

3. What does a straight line on this graph represent?

A straight line on the graph of reciprocal of time vs concentration represents a first-order reaction. This means that the rate of the reaction is directly proportional to the concentration of the reactant.

4. How can the rate constant be calculated from this graph?

The rate constant can be calculated from this graph by determining the slope of the line. The slope is equal to -k, where k is the rate constant. The units of the rate constant will depend on the units used for concentration and time.

5. Can this graph be used to determine the order of a reaction?

Yes, this graph can be used to determine the order of a reaction. A first-order reaction will have a straight line, while a second-order reaction will have a curved line. The order of the reaction can be determined by analyzing the shape of the graph and the rate constant.