Making a graph of CuSO4 concentration vs volume of solution

In summary, the conversation discusses a graphing question for a lab involving CuSO4 concentration and volume of Solution A dispensed. The person asking the question is unsure of how to begin and provides a link to a table with data. The other person suggests plotting the concentration on the y-axis and the volume of Solution A on the x-axis, and confirms that the values obtained are close to a straight line. The conversation ends with the person asking for clarification on the x and y axes.
AlexandraMarie112

Homework Statement

Hi, I don't even know where to begin with this type of graph. It does say that the graph should be a straight line. This is for one of my questions for my lab that I am completing.

This is the link of mytable with info http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w457/Hbjoi_Hggo/image.jpg1_zpsalfphs4o.jpg.

The specific question it asks is " Plot a graph of the CuSO4 concentration(at each dilution) vs. Volume of Solution A dispensed"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what difficulty you are having. Can you be more specific?

For each data point ("beaker"), you have the concentration, which is in the last column, which will be the y values, and the corresponding volume of solution A, which will be on the x axis. The values you got are indeed close to a straight line.

Likes AlexandraMarie112
DrClaude said:
I don't understand what difficulty you are having. Can you be more specific?

For each data point ("beaker"), you have the concentration, which is in the last column, which will be the y values, and the corresponding volume of solution A, which will be on the x axis. The values you got are indeed close to a straight line.

Thank you. Sorry if I was being a little vague but you answered exactly what I kept worrying about. What I shouldve said in my original post was 1) if my work is correct and 2) what to put on the x-axis and y axis

1. What materials do I need to make a graph of CuSO4 concentration vs volume of solution?

To make a graph of CuSO4 concentration vs volume of solution, you will need a graduated cylinder or burette to measure the volume of solution, a balance to measure the mass of CuSO4, a calculator, graph paper or a computer program to plot the data, and a CuSO4 solution of known concentration.

2. What is the purpose of making a graph of CuSO4 concentration vs volume of solution?

The purpose of making this graph is to visually represent the relationship between the concentration of CuSO4 in a solution and the corresponding volume of the solution. This can help to determine the concentration of an unknown CuSO4 solution or to analyze the concentration changes in a reaction over time.

3. How do I calculate the concentration of CuSO4 for each data point on the graph?

To calculate the concentration of CuSO4 for each data point on the graph, you will need to use the formula: concentration = (mass of CuSO4 / volume of solution) * 100. Make sure to use consistent units for mass and volume (e.g. grams and milliliters).

4. What is the best way to plot the data on the graph?

The best way to plot the data on the graph is to use a scatter plot, where each data point is represented by a dot. Make sure to label the x-axis as "Volume of Solution (mL)" and the y-axis as "CuSO4 Concentration (%)." You can also connect the dots with a line, but make sure to clearly label the line as "CuSO4 Concentration vs Volume of Solution" to avoid confusion.

5. Can I use any type of CuSO4 solution for this experiment?

No, it is important to use a CuSO4 solution of known concentration for this experiment. This can be prepared by dissolving a known mass of CuSO4 in a specified volume of water. Using an unknown or impure solution can affect the accuracy and reliability of your results.