How do humans remember phone numbers when dialing?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary: I can press a button and say:Me: "Call MIH"Phone:"did you say call TOM?"Me: No.Phone: "did you say, call Bill?"Me: No.

How do you remember #s when dialing?

• By the number order

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • By the pattern on the keypad

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Both

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
when you are dialing..

By the number order?
By the pattern on the keypad?
Both?
Neither?

For me I think it is mostly pattern, and a fairly automatic process, but I do hear the numbers in my head when I am dialing.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
when you are dialing..

By the number order?
By the pattern on the keypad?
Both?
Neither?

For me I think it is mostly pattern, and a fairly automatic process, but I do hear the numbers in my head when I am dialing.
Hmmm, I just remember the numbers.

I don't remember the numbers...in fact if I have the number right in front of me I still dial it incorrectly(unless I concentrate really hard)...
On the occasion that I do remember the number, it is by remembering it in some sing-song rhythmical way.

I think I probably also use the tones as a guide - to alert me to errors.

I don't use the tones. I use the numbers more than the pattern, but the pattern helps a lot.

I find patterns with in the numbers (if they are really hard to learn straight) otherwise I can generally hear or say the number twice and remember it

thanks for the responses. hmm.. no votes for pattern yet.

Evo said:
Hmmm, I just remember the numbers.
Me too. I have a list of frequently called contacts in my head. Some of it I remember by location - state or country - and I remember the area codes or country/city codes. I just remember the people I call and their phone numbers. Unfortunately the list is getting bigger.

now, remember I am talking about when you are dialing the number.
I pick up the phone and basically just punch a pattern on the keypad. But the numbers do enter my thoughts as I punch.

I just press contacts and choose the person's name, I have no clue what anyone's number is. I chose neither, because I just don't memorize numbers. However, the two numbers I do have memorized I know by the number, not the pattern (I think).

I can press a button and say:

Me: "Call MIH"

Phone:"did you say call TOM?"

Me: No.

Phone: "did you say, call Bill?"

Phone: "Im sorry please say a new command"

Stupid phone...I would throw it against a wall except its a Razor.

cyrusabdollahi said:

ah. Now I know why the prank calls have stopped. :biggrin:

For the most part, I don't remember phone numbers. I'm lost without my phone book. But, for the few numbers I do remember, it's just through repetition...the ones I call often enough that they eventually stick in my memory.

cyrusabdollahi said:

:rofl: Well, that answers that question. I was just talking to someone about those Razor phones the other day, and they were telling me about the voice recognition feature thingy. I asked what accent you need to have for it to understand you since those voice-recognition menus never understand me when I call any company with those. I think I prefer the trainable version.

cyrusabdollahi said:

:rofl:
I get more accurate resonses from those voice activated systems if I grunt or bang the phone on the table. :grumpy:
Worse thing is that a lot them don't give don't give any option out. :yuck:

The only thing I use a pattern for is the pin number on the bank card.
I was lost the time I hit a machine with a different keyboard layout.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: Well, that answers that question. I was just talking to someone about those Razor phones the other day, and they were telling me about the voice recognition feature thingy. I asked what accent you need to have for it to understand you since those voice-recognition menus never understand me when I call any company with those. I think I prefer the trainable version.

I have an old cellphone from like year 2000, and the voice recognition worked fine. I don't see how it can get worse. :grumpy:

I just search the phone book or memorize numbers with 2 or 3 digts in each section

It used to be all "pattern" form me (for those numbers I dialed a lot). Nowadays, thanks to "speed dial" , the whole thing is a moot point: I don't remember numbers at all.

Another factor, computers. Why are the number pads for telephones and computer keyboards inverted? I have put in the wrong phone # many times in the computer because of "pattern."

I'm good with numbers so that works if I need to think about it, but for most I automatically dial the pattern.

Eh gads...I'm the only number by patterns person ..so far.

If I write down a phone number, I can remember it - which is a good thing since I tend to walk off and forget to take my post-it note with me.

I did tend to remember the pattern for the old style cipher locks. Our support section was separated from the operations center, so you'd wind up having to use the ciper locks at least a dozen times a day. If I had to tell someone the combination, I had to figure out which numbers went with which fingers.

What is the best way to remember phone numbers?

The best way to remember phone numbers is to break them down into smaller chunks and assign meaning to each chunk. For example, you can remember the area code as the city you grew up in, the first three digits as your birthdate, and the last four digits as a special date or number that is significant to you.

Why is it important to remember phone numbers?

Remembering phone numbers is important because it allows you to easily contact friends, family, and emergency services in times of need. It also saves you time and hassle of constantly looking up numbers or scrolling through your contacts.

Can anyone learn to remember phone numbers?

Yes, anyone can learn to remember phone numbers. It just takes practice and finding a technique that works best for you. Some people find it easier to remember numbers by visualizing them, while others prefer to create a story or mnemonic to help them remember.

How do mnemonic devices help in remembering phone numbers?

Mnemonic devices are memory aids that help you remember information by creating associations or connections. For phone numbers, you can create a phrase or sentence using the first letters of each number to help you remember. For example, the number 867-5309 can be remembered using the phrase "8-6-7-5-3-oh-9."

Are there any apps or tools to help with remembering phone numbers?

Yes, there are many apps and tools available that can help with remembering phone numbers. Some popular ones include flashcard apps, mnemonic games, and memory training apps. It's important to find one that works best for you and fits your learning style.