How Do You Sketch the Graph of i Against t for the Given Differential Equation?

• Thread starter longball
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
So the period of cos(5t) is 2pi/5. You can also see this from the graph, where the curve repeats every 2pi/5. So your graph should have a period of 2pi/5, not 1. Other than that, your understanding and calculation seem correct.
longball
Could someone please look over this question

d^2i/dt^2 + 25i = 0

where i(0) =15 and di/dt(0) = 0

sketch the graph of i against t(t>0) over 2 cycles

attempt:

General Solution

i=Acos(5t) + Bsin(5t)

when i(0) = 15 is applied

A = 15

P.S

ip= Acos(5t) + Bcos(5t)

ip'= -5Asin(5t) + 5Bcos(5t)

apply di/dt (0) = 0

therefore 0=5B

so B=0

giving

i-15cos (5t)

where t = 1/5cos t = 1

Am I correct in saying that this calculation has been done correctly and the graph which has to be sketched is a cosine graph peaking and troughing at 15 and -15 with a period of 1

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution i = 15 cos(5t) is correct. You have a homogeneous equation there, so you don't need to go through the calculation of yp for a particular solution of a non-homogeneous equation. That's why you got yp = 0.

But the period of cos(5t) is not 1. Remember the period of cos(bt) is 2pi/b.

Related to How Do You Sketch the Graph of i Against t for the Given Differential Equation?

1. What is an ODE question?

An ODE question stands for Ordinary Differential Equation question. It is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives. The goal of solving an ODE question is to find the function that satisfies the equation.

2. Why are ODE questions important?

ODE questions are important because they are used to model and understand various real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. They also have a wide range of applications in other areas of mathematics such as optimization and control theory.

3. What are the different types of ODE questions?

The two main types of ODE questions are linear and nonlinear. Linear ODE questions have a linear relationship between the function and its derivatives, while nonlinear ODE questions have a nonlinear relationship. Other types of ODE questions include first-order, second-order, and higher-order ODEs.

4. How do you solve an ODE question?

The method for solving an ODE question depends on its type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas for certain types of ODEs. Advanced techniques such as power series, Laplace transform, and numerical methods can also be used to solve more complex ODE questions.

5. What are the applications of ODE questions in science?

ODE questions have numerous applications in science, such as modeling the growth of populations, predicting the motion of objects, and understanding chemical reactions. They are also used in various engineering fields to design and optimize systems and processes. In biology, ODE questions are used to model biological processes and understand diseases. Overall, ODE questions play a crucial role in understanding and predicting various phenomena in the natural world.