How Do You Solve Modified Eigenvalue Problems Like Lq=\lambda q + a?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in solving inhomogeneous eigenvalue problems, specifically when the eigenfunction q has the same dimension as a or b. The article "On Inhomogeneous Eigenvalue Problems" by Mattheij and Soderlind is mentioned as a potential resource for solving these types of problems, but the conversation also mentions the use of power iteration as a potential solution method. Finally, the conversation ends with a request for any additional insights or "tricks" for solving these types of problems.
jollage
I know that eigenvalue problem like [itex]Lq=\lambda q[/itex] could be easily solved by eig command in Matlab.

But how to solve a problem like [itex]Lq=\lambda q + a[/itex], where [itex]a[/itex] has the same dimension with the eigenfunction [itex]q[/itex]?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Jo

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
OK, by reading the article On Inhomogeneous Eigenvalue Problems by Mattheij and Soderlind, this kind of the eigenvalue problem could be solved.

Then I have a new problem, which is [itex]Lq=\lambda q + b\lambda^2[/itex], where b has the same dimension with q. Note that now [itex]\lambda[/itex] is squared and unknown.

How to solve this problem? Thank you.

Jo

Last edited:
Doesn't the article you cited give any insight? It seems odd to me that the authors would trade one problem (solving for eigenvalues in Lq = λq + a) for what seems to be a harder problem, without providing some direction.

Mark44 said:
Doesn't the article you cited give any insight? It seems odd to me that the authors would trade one problem (solving for eigenvalues in Lq = λq + a) for what seems to be a harder problem, without providing some direction.

Dear Mark,

Thank you. My apologies. I only read half of that paper, till where I have found the way to attack the problem Lq = λq + a directly. The remaining part of the paper introduces a method called power iteration.

I thought this kind of problem could be easily and directly solved with some tricks that I still do not know. (like the quadratic eigenvalue problem to be solved with a new eigenfunction, which is elegant and smart). I have a feeling that problem like these two I posted here could always be solved using some iteration methods by guessing and adjusting then guessing... I want to know the elegant and smart way, the so-called tricks.

The second problem is more complex since now λ is squared in the third term while the first problem has only a constant additional term.

Maybe I should finish that paper. Otherwise if you have some experiences and tricks, please share. Thank you.

Jo

Last edited:

There are a few different approaches you could take to solve this type of eigenvalue problem. One method is to use the same eig command in Matlab, but add the vector a to the matrix L before solving for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. This will give you the eigenvalues and eigenvectors for the modified problem Lq = \lambda q + a.

Another approach is to use a different numerical method, such as the power method or the QR algorithm, which can handle more complex eigenvalue problems like this one. These methods may require more coding and computation, but they can provide more accurate solutions for more complicated problems.

Additionally, if you are looking for a more analytical solution, you could try using techniques such as perturbation theory or variation methods to approximate the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. These methods can be more challenging, but they can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the system and can be useful for verifying numerical solutions.

Overall, the best approach will depend on the specific problem and the resources available. I recommend exploring different methods and consulting with colleagues or experts in the field to determine the most appropriate approach for your particular situation. Good luck with your eigenvalue problem!

Related to How Do You Solve Modified Eigenvalue Problems Like Lq=\lambda q + a?

1. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents the amount by which a given linear transformation changes its direction. It is a key concept in linear algebra and is often used in solving differential equations and other mathematical problems.

2. How do I find the eigenvalues of a matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a matrix, you can use the characteristic polynomial method or the diagonalization method. The characteristic polynomial method involves finding the roots of the characteristic polynomial of the matrix, while the diagonalization method involves finding the eigenvalues by diagonalizing the matrix.

3. What is the significance of eigenvalues?

Eigenvalues have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They can help determine the stability of a system, solve differential equations, and aid in data compression and signal processing. They also have applications in quantum mechanics and molecular chemistry.

4. Can I have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, it is possible to have complex eigenvalues. In fact, complex eigenvalues often occur in systems with oscillatory behavior or in systems involving imaginary quantities, such as in electrical circuits or quantum mechanics.

5. What are the steps to solve an eigenvalue problem?

The general steps for solving an eigenvalue problem are as follows: 1) write the problem in matrix form, 2) find the characteristic polynomial of the matrix, 3) solve for the roots of the characteristic polynomial to find the eigenvalues, 4) for each eigenvalue, solve the corresponding eigenvector equation to find the eigenvector, and 5) use the eigenvalues and eigenvectors to form the diagonalized matrix, which is the solution to the original eigenvalue problem.