Calculating Static Friction Coefficient w/ Angle of Uniform Slip

In summary, the angle of uniform slip and the coefficient of static friction are related through the equation tanθ=μs. This differs from the equation tanθ=μk for the coefficient of kinetic friction.
tratata
How do you use the angle of uniform slip to calculate the coefficient of static friction?
Is there an equation for this? I cannot find it in the module on friction provided with the course... thanks!

I found somewhere that tanθ=μk, but that doesn't really help me, as i am looking for μs! thanks :)

PS sorry if this is a really stupid question by the way...

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi tratata! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
tratata said:
How do you use the angle of uniform slip to calculate the coefficient of static friction?

I found somewhere that tanθ=μk, but that doesn't really help me, as i am looking for μs!

it's tanθ = μs (different θ, of course!), and for the same reason

i suppose you can prove why? :wink:

Thank you so very much tiny-tim! I really appreciate your help with this! It makes sense now when you pointed out the difference in angle!

1. What is the formula for calculating static friction coefficient with angle of uniform slip?

The formula for calculating static friction coefficient with angle of uniform slip is: μ = tan(θ), where μ is the static friction coefficient and θ is the angle of uniform slip.

2. What is the significance of calculating static friction coefficient with angle of uniform slip?

Calculating the static friction coefficient with angle of uniform slip allows us to determine the maximum angle at which an object can be placed on an incline without slipping. This is important for understanding the stability and safety of objects on inclined surfaces.

3. How can I measure the angle of uniform slip in an experiment?

The angle of uniform slip can be measured by gradually increasing the angle of the incline until the object begins to slip. The angle at which this occurs is the angle of uniform slip. This process can be repeated multiple times to obtain an average value.

4. What factors can affect the static friction coefficient with angle of uniform slip?

The static friction coefficient with angle of uniform slip can be affected by factors such as the weight and material of the object, the surface roughness of the incline, and the presence of any external forces or lubricants.

5. Is the static friction coefficient with angle of uniform slip the same for all surfaces?

No, the static friction coefficient with angle of uniform slip can vary depending on the surface materials and their interaction. For example, a rubber object on a rubber incline may have a different coefficient than a metal object on a metal incline.