How Does a Ferris Wheel Affect the Forces on a Rider?

In summary: It came out to be 16.0 meters. So the magnitude is 422.77 Newtons and the direction is opposite of what you would think.
chooch
A Ferris wheel that rotates three times each minute and has a diameter of 16.0 m

What force [magnitude and direction (measured inward from the vertical)] does the seat exert on a 43.0 kg rider when the rider is halfway between top and bottom, going up?

Ok, the magnitude is easy...

Fnet = m(centripetal acceleration^2 + acceleration due to gravity^2)^1/2 = 422.77 N

What I can't figure out to save my life is the direction "measured inward from the vertical"..

My thinking is to basically make a triangle (similarly to the method used to find Fnet) with 33.95 N being the opposite side (pushing in), and the adjacent side being 421.4 N (pushing up). This gives 0.08 degrees in from vertical, which is incorrect.

What am I doing wrong here? :confused:

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
opposite is 33.95. adjacent is 421.4. What is arctan(33.95/421.4) ?

The rider is experiencing two forces, the seat (diagonally up and inwards) and his weight (down) these two together produce the (horizontally inwards) centripetal force.

Fnet (the diagonal I get a bit different from you 427 N). The angle that is required is therefore between the weight and Fnet vector.

Also I do not get a vector of 33.95 N in my calculations.

andrevdh said:
The rider is experiencing two forces, the seat (diagonally up and inwards) and his weight (down) these two together produce the (horizontally inwards) centripetal force.

Fnet (the diagonal I get a bit different from you 427 N). The angle that is required is therefore between the weight and Fnet vector.

Also I do not get a vector of 33.95 N in my calculations.

I'm getting 33.95N. v = 3.14(16)*3/60 = 2.513m/s. mv^2/r = 43*(2.513)^2/8 = 33.95

OK... This is the second time this semester I've made myself look like a fool because I was in radian mode...

Sorry... the answer is indeed arctan(33.95/421.4).

:frown:

chooch said:
OK... This is the second time this semester I've made myself look like a fool because I was in radian mode...

Sorry... the answer is indeed arctan(33.95/421.4).

:frown:

Don't feel bad. I've made that same mistake a couple of times right here on the forum!

Ok, I took the diameter for the radius in my calcs.

Related to How Does a Ferris Wheel Affect the Forces on a Rider?

1. How does a Ferris Wheel rotate?

The rotation of a Ferris Wheel is powered by an electric motor, which turns a series of gears that are connected to the wheel's central axle. As the gears rotate, they cause the wheel to turn, bringing the riders up and down.

2. What keeps the Ferris Wheel from falling over?

The Ferris Wheel is designed with a large, sturdy base and support structure that keeps it stable and prevents it from falling over. Additionally, the weight of the passengers and the evenly distributed weight of the wheel itself help to keep it balanced and upright.

3. How does the rotation of the Ferris Wheel affect the riders?

The rotation of the Ferris Wheel creates a centripetal force that pulls the riders towards the center of the wheel. This force, combined with the downward force of gravity, creates a feeling of weightlessness and causes the riders to experience a sensation of being lifted off their seats.

4. What factors determine the speed of a Ferris Wheel's rotation?

The speed of a Ferris Wheel's rotation is determined by several factors, including the size and weight of the wheel, the power of the motor, and the number of cars and passengers on the wheel at any given time. The speed can also be controlled by the operator, who may choose to slow down or speed up the rotation for safety or entertainment purposes.

5. What safety measures are in place for Ferris Wheel rotation?

Ferris Wheels are designed and built with safety as a top priority. They undergo regular inspections and maintenance to ensure that all parts are functioning properly. Additionally, most Ferris Wheels are equipped with safety features such as brakes and emergency shut-off switches to stop rotation if necessary. Operators also receive training on how to safely operate the wheel and handle any potential emergencies.