How Does a Magnetic Field Affect Eigenfrequencies in a Harmonic Oscillator?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the eigenfrequencies in a problem involving a particle of mass m, charge e, and subject to a linear restoring force and a magnetic field. The attempt at a solution involves determining the kinetic and potential energy and using the Lagrangian formula to solve for the eigenfrequencies. However, there is confusion regarding the role of the magnetic field in the potential energy and the application of the Lagrangian formula. Further assistance is needed to properly solve the problem.
qspeechc

Homework Statement

Hello everyone. I'm trying to find the eiegenfrequencies in a problem.

We have a particle of mass m, charge e, that is subject to a linear restoring force
[tex]\textbf{F} = -k\textbf{r} [/tex]
and the particle is in a magnetic field [tex]\textbf{B} = B\textbf{k}[/itex]
(in the z-direction)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am a bit confused ecause I only get one eigen-frequency: sqrt(k/m), which is as though the magnetic field is not there.

In finding the freq.s you determine the kinetic and potential energy. Th magnetic field has no addittion to the potential energy? This is what I did. I took:
U = 0.5k(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)
T = 0.5mv^2
where v = <dx/dt, dy/dt, dz/dt>
which gave me the above answer, which I suspect is wrong, partly because the question goes on to say:
"Write your answer in terms of sqrt(k/m) and the cyclotron freq. Hint: use the variable u=x+iy"

I would be grateful for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, electromagnetic Lagrangian is a little different, because there is a velocity-dependent force. I think it is

[tex]L = T - q\phi + q \mathbf{v\cdot A}[/tex]

where A is the vector potential of magnetic field.

Hhmm. I'll have to look it up. We never did the Lagrangian when considering velocity-dependent forces. I guess I'll have to look in another book. Thanks for the help Irid.

I'm sorry, this still isn't working. Do I assume each component x, y, z undergoes SHM, ie are of the form cos(wt), where w is the eigenfrequency, and then solve for w?

1. What are eigenfrequencies?

Eigenfrequencies, also known as eigenvalues, are the natural frequencies at which an object or system vibrates. They are unique to each object and are determined by its physical properties and boundary conditions.

2. How do you find eigenfrequencies?

Eigenfrequencies can be found by solving an eigenvalue problem, which involves finding the characteristic equation and then solving for the roots. This can be done analytically or numerically using software such as MATLAB or Python.

3. Why are eigenfrequencies important?

Eigenfrequencies are important because they play a crucial role in understanding the dynamic behavior of a system. They can help predict the response of a structure to external forces and can be used to design and improve structures to avoid resonance and vibrations.

4. What factors affect eigenfrequencies?

Eigenfrequencies are affected by the material properties, geometry, and boundary conditions of an object or system. They also depend on the mode of vibration, such as bending, torsion, or longitudinal.

5. Can eigenfrequencies be controlled or changed?

Yes, eigenfrequencies can be controlled or changed by altering the physical properties or geometry of an object. This can be achieved through material selection, changing the shape or size of the object, or adding damping materials to reduce vibrations.