How does an Electric Bell use the Motor Effect?

In summary, an electric bell uses the motor effect to make a sound. It uses a current carrying conductor to produce a magnetic field, which in turn produces a force. The bell is designed like a relay, and if the circuit is broken the arm goes back to its original position.
SSSingh
I need help in explaining how electric bell uses motor effect.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have a gut feeling this is for homework, is it? If so please post in the homework section and some attempt at the question instead of simply requesting an answer.

Also, what don't you understand about the motor effect in an electric bell? What part doesn't make sense.

lekh2003 said:
I have a gut feeling this is for homework, is it? If so please post in the homework section and some attempt at the question instead of simply requesting an answer.

Also, what don't you understand about the motor effect in an electric bell? What part doesn't make sense.

This is not homework, i am new to this topic, and i am learning about the motor effect, what i understand about it is that a current carrying conductor produces a magnetic field. It is when the current carrying conductor interacts with an external magnetic field whicu produces a force. In this situation for an Electric bell there are no external magnets and it uses electromagnets, this is conufusing me and i don't exactly know how to write about the motor effect in the electric bell.

Ok, an electric bell works somewhat like a relay in this situation. You might want to look at this website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebi...ng_things_moving/the_motor_effect/revision/2/

I found this quote which seems helpful:
  1. When the current flows through the circuit, the electromagnet makes a magnetic field.
  2. The electromagnet attracts the springy metal arm.
  3. The arm hits the gong, which makes a sound.
  4. The circuit is broken now the arm is out of position.
  5. The electromagnet is turned off and the springy metal arm moves back.
  6. The circuit is complete again.
The cycle repeats as long as the switch is closed.
Let me know if this was what you were looking for.

This 'relay' design often produces a lot of RF interference, so a 'backlash catcher' diode may be added across the coil. It would be essential if you go to next step and use an 'astable' flip-flop or other pulse generator to drive the bell's hammer.

FWIW, one of our former 'ringers' held no bell, just a tiny loud-speaker and a 'playback' chip. Its timing components aged until, instead of a piercing 'DING-DONG', it went 'dunnnng-bonnng, dunnnng-bonnng' and was hastily replaced...

I've seen an old, 'industrial strength' bell that hid a tiny electric motor and two small 'flails'. Do not be stood near when that sounded off...

1. How does an Electric Bell use the Motor Effect?

The electric bell uses the motor effect to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, allowing it to ring. When the circuit is closed, an electric current flows through the coil in the bell, creating a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the permanent magnet, causing the coil to move back and forth, and the hammer to strike the bell.

2. What is the Motor Effect?

The motor effect is the phenomenon where an electric current flowing through a wire in a magnetic field will experience a force. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Why is the Motor Effect important in an Electric Bell?

The motor effect is essential in an electric bell because it allows the electrical energy to be converted into mechanical energy, creating the ringing sound. Without the motor effect, the bell would not be able to function.

4. How is the Motor Effect related to Electromagnetism?

The motor effect is a result of the principles of electromagnetism, specifically the interaction between electricity and magnetism. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field, and this magnetic field interacts with the magnetic field of the permanent magnet, causing the coil to move.

5. Can the Motor Effect be used in other devices apart from Electric Bells?

Yes, the motor effect is used in many other devices, such as electric motors, generators, and loudspeakers. It is a crucial principle in modern technology and is used in various applications, from household appliances to industrial machinery.