Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does an electrical damper work.

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    I am trying to find out how an electrical damper works. I know that it slowly reduces the amplitude of a current or voltage but don't know how, or even what any circuit would look like. I am not an electrician but know basics like capacitence, impedence etc so if you can help and can explain in laymans terms I would be grateful.

Everything I have looked at on the web is very specific but I am just after the basic idea and maybe some applications.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2

Do you mean electrical damping? For instance, a 2nd order system that can be underdamped, critically damped, or overdamped, based on the values of the resistor, capacitor, and inductor.

4. Sep 7, 2010 #3
    What UR_Correct said essentially. Google "RLC circuits". Current oscillates between an inductor and capacitor via a resistor. Physically this is an oscillation between an electric field(cap) and a magnetic field(inductor). The resistor is an energy loss resulting in signal attenuation (with the added smaller losses associated with the cap/inductor).

5. Sep 8, 2010 #4
    I Am asking about an electrical damper as UR_Correct has assumed.

6. Sep 8, 2010 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Then this should help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RLC_circuit

Welcome to the PF, BTW.

7. Sep 9, 2010 #6
    Now I remember. RLC circuits are something I looked into once but didn't investigate their damping effect. Thanks everyone.:-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook