1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does change in current induce electromotive force

1. Jul 20, 2009 #1
    Statement:
    Reviewing the definition of inductance, I found the following definition from Wikipedia:
    Question
    Can someone explain to me how change in current will induce an electromotive force (one that will oppose the present current)? And what is meant by a magnetic field is inductive?

Thanks,

JL

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2
    Re: Inductance

Are you familiar with Lenz's Law? A current in a circuit will produce a magnetic field, so when current is changed, magnetic field is changed, and a changing magnetic field will induce an EMF that opposes the change. If I'm not mistaken, this is what people refer to as "back-EMF" in circuits.

4. Jul 20, 2009 #3

Is there a picture or video I can see of this, so I can see the direction of the EMF in relation to the magnetic field?

5. Jul 20, 2009 #4

negitron

Science Advisor

See the right-hand grip rule which relates current direction through a conductor to magnetic field orientation. Induced EMF will be in opposition to the current flow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook