How Does Entropy Influence Final Temperature in Gas Mixtures?

In summary, the discussion focused on finding the final temperature and total entropy in a system where two gases in separate partitions come in contact and reach thermal equilibrium. The final temperature can be calculated using the equation T_f = (C_oT_o + C_eT_e)/(C_o+C_e), where C_o and C_e are the heat capacities of the two gases. The total entropy change can be found using the equation \Delta S_{o+e} = Q_{tot} (1/T_o - 1/T_e) or \Delta S_{o+e} = C_o ln(T_f/T_o) + C_e ln(T_f/T_e). The number of moles does not directly factor into these equations, but can
roam

Homework Statement

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/1874/entropy.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

First, not sure if this is an adequate explanation but I think for both gases in both partitions, regardless of whether it starts off colder or warmer, the total entropy will increase in order to reach thermal equilibrium.

To find the final temprature, I have an equation in my notes for the final temprature when an object and its environment come in contact and reach a final temperature:

[itex]T_f = \frac{C_oT_o + C_eT_e}{C_o+C_e}[/itex]

Is this the correct equation for this situation? And what kind of heat capacities are the C's (Cv or Cp)?

For the total entropy I would use the equation which gives the total change of entropy by the object+environment:

[itex]\Delta S_{o+e} = \Delta S_o + \Delta S_e = Q_{tot} \left( \frac{1}{T_o} - \frac{1}{T_e} \right)[/itex]

And there is another equation:

[itex]\Delta S_{o+e} = C_o \ln \left( \frac{T_f}{T_o} \right) + C_e \ln \left( \frac{T_f}{T_e} \right)[/itex]

I want to use the second one. But again how do I find the Ce and Co? The only info I am given is the number of moles. Any guidance is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My question really is what formulas need to be used for finding these particular heat capacities?

Last edited:
roam said:
To find the final temprature, I have an equation in my notes for the final temprature when an object and its environment come in contact and reach a final temperature:

[itex]T_f = \frac{C_oT_o + C_eT_e}{C_o+C_e}[/itex]
Where does the number of moles factor into your equation?
Is this the correct equation for this situation? And what kind of heat capacities are the C's (Cv or Cp)?
Will the final temperature be closer to 300 or 500 K? Why?

If volume constant? Is pressure constant?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Where does the number of moles factor into your equation?

How can I use the number of moles for finding C? Because that equation doesn't directly take the number of moles into account...

Will the final temperature be closer to 300 or 500 K? Why?

If volume constant? Is pressure constant?

How can I find that out? :confused: Intuitively, I think the final temprature would be somewhere between 300 and 500 K.

If volume is constant then the pressure would be constant as long as the number of moles don't change (we can see that from the equation P=nRT/V).

Since the hotter gas will lose some heat and the colder gas would gain that much heat I could use the equation [itex]Q=mc\Delta T[/itex] for finding Tf:

[itex]m_1 C_1 (T_f - 300) = m_2 C_2 (T_f - 500)[/itex]

Since it is the same type of gas in both partitions, is it okay to cancel out the C's on both sides (i.e C1=C2)?

To find the masses using the number of moles we can use use m=nM... but we don't know the molar mass of the gas. But would it be okay to also cancel out the M's on both sides?

Related to How Does Entropy Influence Final Temperature in Gas Mixtures?

1. What is entropy and how does it relate to final temperature?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is closely related to the concept of final temperature because as a system becomes more disordered, its particles are more likely to have the same energy, resulting in a uniform final temperature.

2. How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics relate to entropy and final temperature?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time. This means that as a system reaches its final temperature, its entropy will continue to increase until it reaches maximum disorder.

3. Can entropy be reversed or decreased?

According to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease. While it is possible for the entropy of a small portion of a system to decrease, the overall entropy of the entire system will always increase.

4. How does the change in entropy impact the final temperature of a system?

The change in entropy of a system is directly related to the final temperature. As the entropy of a system increases, the particles within it become more disordered and are more likely to have the same energy, resulting in a uniform final temperature.

5. Is there a relationship between the initial state and final temperature of a system?

The initial state of a system can impact its final temperature. If a system starts in a state of low entropy, it will have a larger potential for an increase in entropy and a more significant change in final temperature compared to a system that starts in a state of high entropy.