How Does Friction Affect Mechanical Energy in a Bead Slide?

In summary: So the correct equation should be: deltaE = Pf + Kf - Pi - Ki, where: Pf = potential energy at point C, Kf = kinetic energy at point C, Pi = potential energy at point B, Ki = kinetic energy at point B. So in summary, the change in mechanical energy due to friction is equal to the potential energy at point C plus the kinetic energy at point C minus the potential energy at point B minus the kinetic energy at point B.
notsam

Homework Statement

A 0.5 kg bead slides on a curved wire, starting
from rest at point A.
The segment from A to B is frictionless, and
the segment from B to C is rough. The point
A is at height 4.9 m and the point C is at
height 1 m with respect to point B.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .If the bead comes to rest at C, find the change
in mechanical energy due to friction as it
moves from B to C.
Answer in units of J.

Homework Equations

K=.5mv^2, P=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so here is where I'm at. I know that the Kenetic energy at point "B" will be 24.01 J. So once it it climbs up to point "c" the ball stops which means that the veolocity is 0 m/s. So there is no kenetic energy at point "C". At point "C" the potential energy will be P=mgh, (.5)(9.8)(1)= 4.9 J And the K= 0 Only at point "c". I know that all of the energy must be conserved so-- K at b= P at c+ K at c + Energy due to friction. So the "Change in Mechanical Friction" should be my energy due to friction. Yes? or No?

Physics news on Phys.org
notsam said:

Homework Statement

A 0.5 kg bead slides on a curved wire, starting
from rest at point A.
The segment from A to B is frictionless, and
the segment from B to C is rough. The point
A is at height 4.9 m and the point C is at
height 1 m with respect to point B.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .If the bead comes to rest at C, find the change
in mechanical energy due to friction as it
moves from B to C.
Answer in units of J.

Homework Equations

K=.5mv^2, P=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so here is where I'm at. I know that the Kenetic energy at point "B" will be 24.01 J. So once it it climbs up to point "c" the ball stops which means that the veolocity is 0 m/s. So there is no kenetic energy at point "C". At point "C" the potential energy will be P=mgh, (.5)(9.8)(1)= 4.9 J And the K= 0 Only at point "c". I know that all of the energy must be conserved so-- K at b= P at c+ K at c + Energy due to friction. So the "Change in Mechanical Friction" should be my energy due to friction. Yes? or No?
You have the correct equation, but the wrong terms. From your equation, the energy due to friction is the change in mechanical energy, where mechanical energy is defined as P + K .

Related to How Does Friction Affect Mechanical Energy in a Bead Slide?

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion or position. It can be either kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion, or potential energy, which is the energy stored in an object's position or shape.

2. What causes a change in mechanical energy?

A change in mechanical energy can be caused by external forces, such as a push or pull on an object, or by internal forces, such as the conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy. In the absence of any external forces, mechanical energy remains constant.

3. How is mechanical energy conserved?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. Therefore, in a closed system where there are no external forces acting, mechanical energy is conserved and remains constant.

4. Can mechanical energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, mechanical energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as thermal energy or electrical energy. This conversion occurs when external forces act on an object, causing it to move and transfer its mechanical energy into another form.

5. How can we calculate the change in mechanical energy?

The change in mechanical energy can be calculated using the equation ΔE = Efinal - Einitial, where ΔE is the change in mechanical energy, Efinal is the final mechanical energy, and Einitial is the initial mechanical energy. This equation takes into account both kinetic and potential energy changes.