How Does Integration by Parts Move from the Second to the Third Line?

In summary, the first one is quite easy, you have \delta \dot{\phi}=\partial_{t} \delta \phi, now pat of the assumptions of calculus of variations is that the variation vanish at the boundaries. I think that will help you clear up your first problem.
ditaelita
Somebody could explain me, how of the second line arrive to the third one? in my book says that is integration by parts, please helpppp :eek:

Attachments

• Pag 32.jpg
    Pag 32.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
the same is for this pleaseee :rolleyes:

Attachments

• pag 33.jpg
    pag 33.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 421
The first one is quite easy, you have [itex]\delta \dot{\phi}=\partial_{t} \delta \phi[/itex], now pat of the assumptions of calculus of variations is that the variation vanish at the boundaries. I think that will help you clear up your first problem.

How is quantum field theory treating you?

yes the variation vanish at the booundaries but i try and get a differente solution mmmmm

I study classical field theory from Field Quantization-Greiner and Reinhardt

Okay you have:
[tex]
\delta S = \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\frac{\delta L}{\delta \phi}\delta \phi +\frac{\delta L}{\delta \dot{\phi}}\delta \dot{\phi} d^{3} \mathbf{x}
[/tex]
Using the hint that I gave:
[tex]
\delta S = \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\frac{\delta L}{\delta \phi}\delta \phi +\frac{\delta L}{\delta \dot{\phi}}\partial_{t}\delta \phi d^{3} \mathbf{x}
[/tex]
The second term can be integrated by parts to obtain:
[tex]
\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\frac{\delta L}{\delta \dot{\phi}}\partial_{t}\delta \phi d^{3}\mathbf{x} =\left[ \frac{\delta L}{\delta \dot{\phi}}\delta \phi\right]_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}-\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\frac{\delta L}{\delta \dot{\phi}}\delta \phi d^{3}\mathbf{x}
[/tex]
Putting this back in the same integral we have:
[tex]
\delta S =\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\frac{\delta L}{\delta \phi}\delta \phi -\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\frac{\delta L}{\delta \dot{\phi}}\delta \phi d^{3}\mathbf{x}
[/tex]
So you see now?

Last edited:
Thank youuuuuu so much, you're the best
I'm really happy:biggrin:

Now I'll try the other one

For that one, take a simple case of where the field has one space variable, i.e. when [itex]\phi \phi (t,x)[/itex] It will be easier and give you a good feeling for the general case.

Glad to be of help...

Related to How Does Integration by Parts Move from the Second to the Third Line?

What is Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule for differentiation and can be used to evaluate integrals that are difficult to solve using traditional methods.

When should I use Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is typically used when the integral of a product of two functions cannot be solved using other techniques, such as substitution or trigonometric identities. It is also useful when the integral involves a polynomial multiplied by a transcendental function, such as an exponential or logarithmic function.

What are the steps for using Integration by Parts?

The steps for using Integration by Parts are as follows:

1. Identify the two functions in the integral and label them as u and dv.
  2. Use the product rule to find du and v.
  3. Apply the Integration by Parts formula: ∫ u dv = uv - ∫ v du
  4. Simplify and solve for the integral.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Integration by Parts?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using Integration by Parts include:

• Choosing the wrong functions for u and dv.
  • Forgetting to apply the negative sign when finding ∫ v du.
  • Not simplifying the resulting integral.
  • Forgetting to add a constant of integration when solving the integral.

Can Integration by Parts be used for definite integrals?

Yes, Integration by Parts can be used for definite integrals. After finding the indefinite integral using the steps mentioned above, you can then evaluate the definite integral by plugging in the limits of integration and subtracting the resulting values.