How does my book go from this step to the next (trig)

• Thread starter frasifrasi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Trig
In summary, trigonometry is a branch of mathematics used to solve problems involving angles and distances. It can be applied in various fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation, and can be used to explain concepts related to geometry in your book. It is important to consider the level of understanding of your readers when incorporating trigonometry into your book.
frasifrasi
OK, in an example, we are given:

"T(θ)= 2 cos^2 (θ) +sin^2 (θ) − sin (θ) + 3
=cos^2 (θ) − sin θ + 4.
Then Tθ(θ)= −2 cos θ sin θ − cos θ =
−cos θ(2 sinθ + 1)"

can anyone explain what happened from step 1 to 2--i am completely lost?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
frasifrasi said:
OK, in an example, we are given:

"T(θ)= 2 cos^2 (θ) +sin^2 (θ) − sin (θ) + 3
=cos^2 (θ) − sin θ + 4.
Then Tθ(θ)= −2 cos θ sin θ − cos θ =
−cos θ(2 sinθ + 1)"

can anyone explain what happened from step 1 to 2--i am completely lost?

[tex]\sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta = 1 [/tex]
so
[tex]\sin^2 \theta = 1 - \cos^2 \theta[/tex]
Now, substitute in for step 1 and simplify.

Geez, I am embarassed.

1. How does trigonometry relate to my book?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between sides and angles of triangles. It is often used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to solve problems involving angles and distances. In your book, trigonometry may be used to explain concepts related to geometry, navigation, or other topics.

2. What is the purpose of using trigonometry in my book?

The purpose of using trigonometry in your book is to provide a mathematical basis for understanding and solving problems related to angles and distances. This can help readers better understand the concepts being discussed and apply them in real-life situations.

3. How can I apply trigonometry in my book?

You can apply trigonometry in your book by using it to solve problems or explain concepts related to angles and distances. For example, you can use trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to calculate the sides and angles of a triangle. You can also use trigonometry to solve problems involving right triangles, circles, and other geometric shapes.

4. Are there any real-life examples of trigonometry in my book?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of trigonometry that can be used in your book. For example, you may discuss how trigonometry is used in navigation to determine the distance and direction between two points. You may also explore how trigonometry is used in architecture and construction to calculate angles and distances for building structures.

5. Is it important for readers to understand trigonometry to follow my book?

It depends on the level of complexity and depth of trigonometry used in your book. If your book is aimed at readers with a basic understanding of mathematics, it may be beneficial to provide a brief explanation of trigonometry and its applications. However, if your book is targeted towards a more advanced audience, it may be assumed that readers already have a strong understanding of trigonometry.